We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from estes park to cody

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
55 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from estes park to cody

After labour day, I will be driving from estes park to cody, wy.

I am looking for some interesting stops on this long drive, for us to be able to get out, stretch our legs, have some lunch, see some sights,...

I have some ideas, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kristof

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,668 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from estes park to cody

I am sure there may be a better route but we have gone up thru Cheyenne to Casper then up thru Shoshoni and Thermapolis and thru the Wind River Canyon and on to Cody. Nice hot springs in Thermapolis and Casper has some decent restaurants and hotels. It is about 8 hours of driving time not counting stops, etc.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from estes park to cody

Take I-80 to Laramie and get off onto Highway 30 to go see Medicine Bow. It is a lovely drive and you can see the fossil cabin, a restaurant/lounge with the largest solid jade bar in the world, plus the cabin where "The Virginian" was written. And, of course, The Virginian.

That route will also take you through Shoshoni where you should get a malt at Yellowstone Drug. Or you can pick your own raspberries at the local farm.

And stop in Thermopolis for a soak in the hot springs.

Meeteetse, population 370, has a world-class chocolatier. Stop by his shop for fresh truffles in classic flavors or more experimental ones like sage and Coors. He makes a mighty fine peanut butter cup as well.

Have a great trip!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from estes park to cody

Are you going to Yellowstone?

Perhaps I'm really asking, what is your itinerary? You have many miles to go but did you need help about what to see en route? And how many days for certain sites?

Edited: 01 July 2011, 02:56
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from estes park to cody

One day drive or one or more stops along the way? In one day it would certainly be a long drive with little time to stop. So it would have to mostly be windshiled viewing only.

As noted aboive (I think) the Snowy Range Scenic Byway through the Medicine Bow Mts. is spectacular and a fairly easy mountain drive. But that would be WY-130 out of Laramie and through Saratoga then up to I-80. Then exit at Rawlins and head north to Muddy Gap and take US-287 to WY-135 at the Sweetwater Rest Area. This is known as the Sand Draw Cutoff and saves many miles. Decent road (last time I took it) then from Riverton US-26 to Shoshoni and US-20 to Thermopolis. The US-20 part passes though scenic Wind River Canyon and passes by the mineral terraces from the hot spring at Thermopolis. Then WY-120 through Meeteetse to Cody.

If time permits to break this up by stopping for a night the logical spot is Rawlins, WY. Not much to look at but a handy spot. Stopping would allow a side trip from Muddy Gap to Independence Rock as well as time for a longer stop in Thermopolis to maybe see the springs and/or visit the Wyoming Dinosaur Center.

5. Re: Drive from estes park to cody

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 00:17