We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

We will be departing from Gardiner on a mid-August Tuesday and the current plan ( it's changed from earlier posted questions) is to depart through Cody and proceed to Casper via Thermopolis and Shoshone.

I know that August is a busy time in the park; can someone recommend the best ( in time) route to get to Cody from Gardiner ( Mammoth area) and estimate travel time between Cody and Casper?

I just can't get a feel for how long to expect it to take what with park traffic and then the scenic route designation......

Sure appreciate any help....

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

A good "rule of thumb" for an estimate of driving time inside Yellowstone Park is to double the mileage. After doing that I also add 1/4 to 1/2 that amount for animal jams which you can't predict.

If you do not have a map of Yellowstone that shows mileage you can find one on the the National Park Services website for Yellowstone Park.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Once you're outside the east entrance the speed limit increases to 70mph. It usually takes a little under a hour to get the 54 miles from the east entrance to Cody. Have you googled the mileage of the route you're taking from Cody to Casper? You should be able to figure out how long it will take you to drive that stretch with that information.

Deb

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

Thanks Deb....so , the "Scenic Route" designation doesn't slow the speed limit on that stretch between Cody and Shosoni?

Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

I just checked and the speed limit for 2 lane roads in Wyoming is 65 mph. Interstates are 75mph. I've never been on the stretch between Cody-Thermopolis-Shoshoni but I can't imagine, with maybe a few exceptions that the speed limit would be less than 65 mph. I travel the Cody to Billings around occassionally and drive 70 mph and I know people pass me a lot.

Hopefully someone with experience driving that stretch will chime in.

Deb

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

Thanks for your input.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,760 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

We left from Cody one morning and were in Casper for lunch. We stopped along the Wind River Canyon area. Speed limit slows down thru some small towns but basically 65 mph on the road.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

Thanks, Belle, that helps.

7. Re: trying to estimate time acorss the park to Casper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 12:18