We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Hotels

I see most people posting about staying a number of nights in several hotels inside of Yellowstone. Is this the suggested way to visit? I was considering staying at Canyon which appears to be central for our entire stay in Yellowstone (5 or 6 days) before moving to GT. Am I missing something important? It will be just my husband and myself concentrating on wildlife and scenery in late August.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,382 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Hotels

A lot of people stay in the same lodging- just depends on the individual. Some people also want the experience of staying in Old Faithful because it is really unique.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,908 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Hotels

The problem with one place is the driving time. While there is always something to see, even redriving the same road, you spend more time on the road than you would by moving for a couple of days and using a new home base. Driving in the dark is a really bad idea in the park, so you must account for the drive time back to base when planning your day. That said, it depends on what you want to see- wildlife, geysers, canyon. We moved our first few trips to the park, seeing it all. Now we stay at OF and make a day trip or two to see our favorite other things..

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,636 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Hotels

We opted to stay one night in the Old Faithful area our first night in the park. Enabled us to tour some of the thermal areas the first afternoon/evening-- then a bit more in the morning prior to moving to the canyon area for 3 nights. We split the park into 4 sections, basically, and and tried to do one section each day. If I were to choose an area to stay all 4 days, I'd stay at canyon. The western cabins are quite nice for park lodging. Opted to stay at the Snow Lodge for the thermal area. Simple, clean-- but for $200 a night with hard full size beds.... I much preferred the comfy queen beds at the western cabin for $175 a night.

Also like canyon area for the close proximity to Hayden Valley. Made it easy to be there early mornings to watch for wildlife and then again on the way "home" daily early evening. Altho-- we saw wildlife in many areas of the park :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Hotels

Thanks to you all! We visited Alaska a couple of years ago and moved every couple of days. I am trying to avoid packing and unpacking so much this time around, but I don't want to miss an experience that we would have had if we had moved.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Hotels

See "“ Early September in the Park - where to stay?" a post on this page; I pasted a detailed response to a question similar to yours.

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Hotels

You are right that Canyon is pretty central to the park, and I don't see why it wouldn't be a reasonable plan to stay there. Driving times are always a consideration, though, to balance in to your plans, and driving times can be highly variable due to circumstances beyond your control -- other motorists, weather and animal jams. One thing that I think is a near-absolute is the recommendation to NOT drive after dark.

7. Re: Changing Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:13