We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

Daughter is traveling to Lander. She wants to go through Colorado- hitting Pikes Peak, RMNP and work her way to Lander. We have not done CO, so not sure how to advise her on her plans. She will be leaving IA Saturday evening, headed through NE and hitting CO on Sunday. Should be in Lander on Wednesday. I know this is not the CO or RMNP forum- but I love you guys on here!

Mentioned in this post
Lander
Lander
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,510 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,885 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

Is she camping or lodging?

Sunday - arrive Colorado Springs. Stay in Manitou Springs or northern part of Co Sprigns.

Monday - Pikes Peak first thing in the morning, then to Garden of the Gods in early afternoon. Drive to Estes Park for the night

Tuesday - RMNP all day. Drive over Trail Ridge Road and spend the night in Grand Lake or Granby.

Wednesday - about 6 hour drive give or take to Lander.

Hope this helps. Post again if you need more ideas. This is my old stomping ground!!!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Trail Ridge Road
Trail Ridge Road
2,938 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Granby
Granby
Grand County, CO
Lander
Lander
Wyoming
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

Great- can you give lodging and eating recommendations? Driving and no camping. She isn't a hiker (black sheep, lol) but traveling with her boyfriend who is an outdoor guy. Mentioned a place with a mountain view in Co Springs for $130, but I have no idea if that is good or not? Anything they should see in Wyoming on the way to Lander? We don't usually stop- just head from IA to Lander when we go. Destination, not the journey. Her trip is for the journey.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Lander
Lander
Wyoming
Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

There is a LOT to see between Granby. CO and Lander. Since drive time is only 5-6 hours here are a couple suggestions...

1. At WY-130, before Saratoga, WY, take 130 to top of Snowy Range Scenic Byway (Snowy Range Pass) in the Medicine Bow Mountains. especially if leaving early from Granby and getting there while Actually Saratoga makes a nice stoping place due to the hot springs Either free in the town Hobo Pool or at Saratoga Inn & Spa.

Photo I took near top of Snowy Range Pass of some guys fishing:

tripadvisor.com/…16989608

Some nice short hikes there. At obersvation tower turn out at otp of pass on a clear day you can see far into Colorado.

2. On US-287 north of Rawlins take WY-220 for a side trip to Independence Rock. Very historic and not too far out of way. Climb (steep walk) to top is well worth it to view name carvings by pioneers headed west.

3. On US-287 at junction with WY-135 there is a rest area (Sweetwater) that has historic info about wagon train pioneers and wagon ruts are visible.

Mentioned in this post
Granby
Granby
Grand County, CO
Lander
Lander
Wyoming
Saratoga
Saratoga
Wyoming
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Rawlins
Rawlins
Wyoming
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,885 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

In Colorado Springs plenty of lodging options $130 is the better chains hotels, but you can get deals further in advance. We will be at the Mining Exchange on Wed for a few days. Very nice, higher end place. In the northern part of the city are plenty of chains as well. Check on TA for the top ones.

Dining in Colorado Springs... Phantom Canyon Brewpub, Old Chicago, Il Vicino, Sonterra Grill, Nosh, and many more. Lots of places have happy hour food deals.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Sonterra Grill
Sonterra Grill
291 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

She has booked Discover Lodge in Estes Park. (updated room with a view) They like your route- they have no clue, except that he wants Pikes Peak and she doesn't want to hike. She had me print out all your posts, says she is a visual learner, lol. Looking for a "splurge" night she says now. I am looking at Cliff House- any comments? Food menu doesn't look like anything for them however- so would need recommendations for that. I haven't looked at Granby yet, that is next.

Boyfriend seems interested in Med Bow. We have been there as a family, but I didn't know how to compare it with RMNP since I have not been there. Thanks for the help- I will be back!!

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Granby
Granby
Grand County, CO
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,885 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

Cliff House is a restored old hotel, very nice and right in the middle of Manitou Springs. Close to Pikes Peak and plenty of other attractions. We toyed with the idea of staying there, but the Mining Exchange (a Wyndham property and newly restored) had a better rate! Plus it is downtown close to the many great restaurants and bars on Tejon St and the surrounding area. Another splurge woudl be The Hilton Antlers downtown, but I've heard it is not as nice as Cliff House and Mining Exchange.

When does she leave? I will be in Co Springs tomorrow and can answer more questions. I will be able to log on tomorrow evening at a little b&b we booked as we had to add a night and Mining Exchange was too spendy.

Mentioned in this post
Manitou Springs
Manitou Springs
El Paso County, CO
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,510 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

They leave on Saturday the 28th. I saw a package that includes the service fee for 2 (I don't do fancy hotels, so this surprised me- why not just up the rate?) parking and breakfast buffet, strawberries and wine for $141 (plus tax I think) for The Cliff House. All I could find on The Mining Exchange was $161 plus....I think they would like downtown as well, but they are trying to budget. She wants the frills, he wants $40 rooms. So, somewhere in the middle. Looks like Grand Lake is full, and I sent an e-mail awaiting a return for a place in Gramby, everything else was full. Any other suggestion if that doesn't work? She mentioned seeing Denver, but not sure how that would work into the trip? I think it is like YNP and GTNP- you need more days to see Cody, lol. Any info would be GREAT! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Lake
Grand Lake
Grand County, CO
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,885 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

We just had a wonderful Italian meal in Old Colorado City near Cliff Houses. Paravicini's and it was excellent. My husband is former chef and said the trimisu was the best he had ever had! Home made. http://www.paravicinis.com/

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Paravicini's
Paravicini's
1,048 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

thanks- I looks like she would like that- have to find out if the BF would, but looks like a good choice!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to Lander, need suggestions.

The deal I saw at Cliff House was gone by the time they decided to go with it :( So, the search continues. What did you get for the B&B and the Mining House, if I can ask.