We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - where to add a night?

Hubertus
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary help - where to add a night?

We are a family of 5 – mom, dad, 3 boys ages 16, 12, & 8. Our travel dates are June 7th – June 23rd. I have one extra night to add somewhere to our itinerary. I’m looking for suggestions on where to add it and why.

Here is our basic itinerary:

1 night Jackson, MN hotel en route from Wisconsin

1 night Badlands KOA, SD: Badlands hiking

2 nights in Custer State Park camping cabins: Jewel Cave, hike & fish in park

1 night Beartooth Inn, Cody: attend rodeo, museum next morning

1 night Canyon frontier cabin: stop at Yellowstone Lake area & Mud Volcano on way, Canyon hiking.

2 nights Roosevelt Rough Rider Cabin: drive into Lamar Valley, hiking (good shorter hikes in this area and possibly whitewater rafting out of Gardiner).

1 night Old Faithful Inn Old House room: Geyser Day – en route to OF stop at Mammoth and Geyser Basin areas from Mammoth to OF. OF area evening or early a.m.

2 nights Flying Saddle Resort in Alpine, WY: stop at West Thumb and some Grand Teton sights on the way. Staying in Alpine to do Snake River whitewater rafting, horseback riding, fishing, and possibly A.T.V.ing. All these are very convenient to Alpine.

1 night Signal Mountain Lodge, GTNP: Tram on the way, Teton hikes.

1 night Buffalo, WY: via Thermopolis

1 night Chamberlain, SD: via Devil’s Tower

1 night Hotel near Mall of America, MN: Mall of America & Nickelodeon Universe

Home to Wisconsin

Extra night option 1: Add night in Alpine. Even though we have 2 nights there it will only be one full day to do things. We have a lot of activities we want to do in the area. Also, this hotel has modern conveniences (BATHROOMS, WiFi, TV, pool, hot tub, microwave, fridge) which will be appreciated at this point in our trip, especially by our teenager.

Extra night option 2: Add night to Old Faithful. I don’t want to short change Yellowstone. Another night at OF would give us more time in the thermal areas, but I know it is the busiest part of the park, and is another night really needed?

Extra night option 3: Add night to Roosevelt, Canyon, or add night at Mammoth (maybe convenient if we do whitewater rafting out of Gardiner).

What do you recommend?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

Have you asked your family what they'd like to do or see more of?

If it were for "me" based on "my" interests, I would say add another day at Old Faithful.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

I would add a night to Old Faithful. You will take most of the day to get there, if you leave the next morning you have no time there really. And mornings and evenings are great- way less people. There are tons of things to see in the area, and you could catch some of the predictable geysers with some time there. Yes, it is busiest, but the farther you go on the boardwalks, the fewer people you get! I would just do one white water, instead of Gardiner, I would do Tower Falls and/or Mt. Washburn if it is open and the boys are up to it. There are also falls between Roosevelt and Mammoth, if the trails are open. Weather will have a lot to do with what you are able to hike that time of year- along with bears, etc.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,183 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

Third vote to add your extra night to Old Faithful.

Pam

Hubertus
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

You people are quick!!! ;)

I kinda thought I should go with OF, but I've read a lot about people saying one night was enough there.

Keep the suggestions coming, though.

Hubertus
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

Oh, and I do ask my family what they think, but pretty much get .... "I don't care", except my oldest son who always votes for the option with TV and internet. I'm surrounded by non-communicative boys (husband included)!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

Ice Cream break- get it on the first floor of the inn, then take it to the second floor deck and enjoy the view of the basin. Anomone geyser is a family favorite, on the hill behind Old Faithful. The Jr Ranger program might be good for the younger two. Would the older be interested in horse ride? The one out of Roosevelt was highly recommended by friends this summer- and they had two young adults along. Any interest in science or history? There are some good books on Yellowstone that might be of interest? Or you could get him hooked on the YNP webcams, and he might be interested in seeing things in person? Maybe he could read the book Yellowstone Treasures by Janet Chapple and help navigate and guide? If all else fails, let him have the music plugged into his ears and just enjoy your trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,772 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

I too agree another night at Old Faithful.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

The Lamar River trail is a nice hike in Lamar valley, wide open views & you can make it as long or short (since you were looking for a short hike in that area) as you choose. Take the hikers trailhead across the footbridge, not the horse trailhead from the hitching post restroom stop. Look for the badger who lives in the hole right across the bridge.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,183 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

I like the Old Faithful option, but I love the Inn.

You will probably see snow that early in June. Those Roosevelt Cabins are going to be cold at night (they do have a little wood stove) so the OF Inn will probably seem luxurious in comparison.

I think you could do another night in Alpine/Tetons, too, though. Four nights in Yellowstone is a nice amount of time. I think you can't go wrong either way, really.

You might consider a second night at Signal Mt if you like to do hiking. The Tetons are really beautiful and very different from Yellowstone for being so close. There are many hiking opportunities there. I haven't stayed at Signal Mt, itself, but I think that could be a good option.

I'm kind of liking that option, really, the more I think about it. You've got at least 3 nights in Yellowstone w/o your own bathroom if I understand correctly, maybe all 4 (the Old House part of the Inn is the part w/o private baths, but the Canyon Frontier has one?). I could see where that would get old. The Roughrider cabins are basically like sleep-away camp cabins and are really as rustic as they are billed. We liked 'em — one of our kids fave places on our big trip and you can't beat the price — but they are rough.

It also seems like you might be able to use another day in the Tetons themselves. You're just driving thru on your way to Alpine and then coming back for only the one night (one day?) at Signal Mt. You could also go to Alpine through Idaho leaving via West Yellowstone and make more of a loop coming back up to the Tetons if you had that extra night and day there.

Jackson would also be a good option and put you more "in town" than Signal Mt, but I think I'd rather have the two nights in one place. Moving hotels every night gets old. When we do a road trip we like to try to alternate one night stays and two nights (or more) stays so every day doesn't involve getting back in the car for another 200 miles or so.

hth

Edited: 21 August 2012, 23:45
Hubertus
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help - where to add a night?

There are too many places I could use that extra night!

My initial thought was adding to OF like many suggested. BUT, adding to Alpine does have the appeal of more amenities and there are many things we could do in the area. We will have gone 3 nights in YNP without a bathroom, and 3 nights on the way to YNP without a bathroom. An in room bathroom will be mighty appealing by then!

We plan on doing hikes and things in Tetons on the way to Alpine and on the way back up to Signal Mountain (most of those two days will be spent in Tetons), so I'm not sure adding a night to Signal Mountain or Jackson would be the best choice. I'll have to think on that idea a little.

I am a little concerned about being in the Roosevelt cabins that early in the season. We don't mind a little roughing it, but I'm sure we will need to stoke the wood stove during the nights to stay warm. That may be a pain, cuz you- know-who will be the one that ends up doing it! (I'm the light sleeper).

I really appreciate the suggestions. It helps me weigh the pros and cons of each option.