We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magical Wyoming trip has ended

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
644 posts
Save Topic
Magical Wyoming trip has ended

Sitting at a brewery in Hood River, Oregon right now after leaving Yellowstone early this morning. Will do a trip report at some point after my six-week journey is over, but wanted to get something out there now after all the incredible advice and guidance I received the past 16 months in planning this trip.

Yellowstone was amazing, and ended In a fitting way. As I drove along the Madison River around 7 this morning heading out of the park, saw several cars on the side of the road (about 9 miles from West Yellowstone) and it turned out to be a bull elk with about 10 females in a field just yards away from us.

This was just one of many magical moments during my three days. Even though I entered the park from GTNP on Monday morning and was staying at Lake Lodge cabins that night, decided to do the Upper Geyser basin that day and was treated to eruptions of Old Faithful, Daisy and Grand within a two and a half hour span. Was a bit turned off by the whole mob scene in OF village and the geyser itself, but LOVED the boardwalk and found Grand Geyser to be an incredible experience after an hour's wait.

That was just an amazing day overall. Did West Thumb to start the day (good intro to the park), and also did Firehole Lake Drive (White Dome erupted just as I arrived), the amazing view of Grand Prismatic from the hilltop along Fairy Falls trail, several waterfalls, a riverside dinner, Brink of Lower Falls at Canyon at sunset (had it to myself) and caught a bull elk stalking two females in Hayden Valley.

Battery is about dead on my phone so I'll return to my beer and continue this another time. Cheers all, and thanks again for all the help in making this an unforgettable trip.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
644 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Magical Wyoming trip has ended

One last thing for tonight: At 7 a.m. Tuesday watched (with only two other people) two wolves picking the last scraps from a carcass a couple miles east of Fishing Bridge. Apparently it was a grizzly kill and the bear had been seen for the past few days there (I missed him by a couple minutes that day!).

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,644 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magical Wyoming trip has ended

Wow, sounds like a terrific visit to the park! Glad you made it thru the Idaho smoke and are clearing your throat out with some special Hood River brew.

Pam

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magical Wyoming trip has ended

Sounds like you are having a grand adventure. Can't wait to hear the stories in person over a beer (or three) in Moab.

Safe travels, my friend!

4. Re: Magical Wyoming trip has ended

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 10:17