We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Up and hotel breakfast. Hotel was fine- breakfast was fine. For the price, would stay again.

Headed east, we make one rest area stop, Leftover pizza for lunch, and then hit Iowa about 2:30. I nap some :) Been an active vacation!

Suddenly, the low fuel light is on. We haven't gotten gas since Wyoming last night! So, a nervous drive to find a gas station, fuel up and finish the drive uneventfully to arrive home at 7:00

Our last travel day, under our weary belts. Asleep in our own bed.

Grandson visit and some unpacking on Sunday, checking up on TA posts and chat page, FB, snail mail, laundry. Today, Monday, 1st thing I check the cam and watch Old Faithful. Great way to start, then work on laundry and trip reports. Vacation is over, but I have relived it all today- I would take a nap, but I still have unpacking and laundry and dinner to take care of. Back to reality, and looking at photos of our wonderful week in Winter Wonderland!

Again, thanks for all the help on here- it was a success because of internet friends!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

What a fantastic trip report, thbergs! I may never get to do OF in winter, so I got to vicariously through your excellent, detailed report. Thanks!

So glad to hear you kept mostly warm, although it is hard to keep warm standing in ski boots.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 21:46
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,537 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Great trip report. So glad you had a wonderful trip!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Neck gaiter/face warmer was essential. Wool socks ended up working better than the fleece & silk/wool in my ski boots, I think because they fit my feet tighter? But yes- standing was my worry and proved to be correct. Mittens were warmer than gloves, but after many hours, they got cold as well- warmers were the good thing. My layering otherwise worked very well, and my new boots were excellent. I loved my behind the head ear muffs, but when it snowed heavy or the wind picked up, they didn't work as well with the hood up. I also preferred the fleece zip-up as a layer over the synthetic one for skiing. Other was fine for the snow coach. Ditto on the pants- fleece over synthetic for warmth.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,145 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Wonderful report! I'm with Denalicat...living vicariously, so much so had to have some hot tea to finish the report! I got cold standing in the wind and snow.

(And you are right, it always seems windy at Grand doesn't it?)

So glad you got home safe and sound.

Pam

Cranbury, New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Thank you for a great trip report. It brought back amazing memories of our visit last Feb2012. Your trip report makes me want to start planning for next winter!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
768 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Thanks for the fantastic reports.

Only 67 hours till we leave home for the US, and 18 days till we get to Yellowstone for the first time.

Found some invaluable info in your reports.

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

thanks all- we had a great trip!

AndPancho- if you have any questions, I would be happy to attempt to help! Have a wonderful time in the winter wonderland :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
831 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

Thbergs, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading your trip report!! I took some time today to read through your description of each day and it really got me thinking about a winter trip... Maybe one day!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,113 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

DH6040, it is like nothing else! I couldn't do it justice, but so glad you feel the pull- go for it!

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
463 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Trip Report January 2013 Day 9

I want to add my thanks for your entertaining, informative TR, and like others, lived vicariously through your experience since I'm not sure we will ever come to YS in winter. I loved all of your geyser-gazing reports and since we didn't spend enough time in the Upper Geyser Basin last summer, we're planning to stay at least 3 nights in the Old Faithful area in 2014. I *MUST* see Beehive!