We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from SLC to Jackson

Indianapolis, IN
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from SLC to Jackson

The earliest that we could possibly get away from the SLC airport is 3:00pm; sunset on that date is 8:10pm. I'm concerned about driving toward Jackson as it is getting dark, amongst lots of trees from the south, Rt 89 (which I'm only recalling from our trip many years ago), which would make it seem darker than if we were driving "out in the open". It's at least a 5-hr trip, right? One in our group is a photography nut & might want to stop to take some pix somewhere along the way. I'm thinking that maybe we should only try to get to e.g. Montpelier, ID that first night, rather than push to get to Jackson in the dark???

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson

>I'm concerned about driving toward Jackson as it is getting dark, amongst lots of trees

You could drive north on I-15 and overnight at Idaho Falls, then drive into Jackson in the morning (1 1/2 hours). Interstate driving should be perfectly safe at night.

>lots of trees from the south, Rt 89 (which I'm only recalling from our trip many years ago), which would make it seem darker than if we were driving "out in the open".

When you enter Wyoming, it's not so much the trees as it is those mountains to the west that make it darker earlier.

By using the interstate to Idaho Falls, it's a 5-hour drive to Jackson. Other routes are 1/2 - 1 hour longer.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 20:11
2. Re: Driving from SLC to Jackson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 05:16