We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

Seattle
Level Contributor
907 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

Thought I'd pull this question out onto another thread. My daughter (22 y.o.) and I are driving later this month from Denver to Seattle, and since it is last time making the drive (she graduated!) thought we'd spend a couple extra days and drive through Tetons and YNP.

We have a choice as to where to stay our first night: Jackson or Moran. (btw, the next day we're driving through the GTNP, ending up at OF Snow Lodge in YPN). I'm interested in opinions. I'm thinking she'd probably like to see Jackson--though we'll be tired and not up for a big night out, some nice options for dinner and breakfast are a plus. On the other hand, I understand Moran has lovely approach views of the Teton Range, and our views from Hatchet Lodge could be breathtaking. Is there a difference between the two drives? One longer? One more outstandingly scenic? Does Jackson have lovely mountain views, too? I'm waffling....so any help welcome!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

Is there a difference between the two drives?

Are you trying to compare the drives on route 26 and route 191? If you can confirm that, I can try to answer your questions about the 2 routes.

Does Jackson have lovely mountain views, too?

No, not from the town. While in Jackson, mostly you can just see nearby buttes and lower mountains.

Seattle
Level Contributor
907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

I guess I was thinking either:

Moran--I-80 to Rawlins, and then 287 through Lander, connecting to 287/26 into Moran

Jackson--I-80 past Rawlins to Rock Springs, then 191 into Jackson

Does that make sense? These look like the main routes on my google maps.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. Those are indeed the 2 primary routes into Jackson Hole.

>Is there a difference between the two drives?

287/26 allows you to see the Wind River Range to the west after you leave Lander and parts of the Absarokas to the northeast as you approach Dubois. You'll also pass some beautiful Chugwater formations near Dubois. The other route is more time on the interstate; you'll can see the Wind River Range in the east (the other side of the range) and the Wyoming Range in the west - although I think 26 is a prettier drive.

>One longer?

You can check with a mapping service online, but I don't think there's much difference.

>views from Hatchet Lodge could be breathtaking

That's true. Same view as from our house.

>options for dinner and breakfast are a plus.

There's not much choice in Moran. In Jackson, the choices are endless. But for steaks, I'd suggest Gun Barrel, Cowboy Steakhouse or the Wort Hotel grill. For breakfast, consider The Bunnery, the Virginian or the Wort Hotel grill (hardly ever crowded).

Edited: 11 June 2013, 04:24
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,853 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

I've driven both routes from Denver area and both are beautiful once you leave I80, lol! If it was me, I'd head into Jackson for the night. Have a nice meal, relax and get up early to watch sunrise from Mormon Row or Cunningham Cabin. We had a great and fun meal at Snake River Brewpub in Jackson.

Seattle
Level Contributor
907 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

As expected, the daughter picked "Jackson" over Moran. We'll have to leave Denver early so we get a bit of time there. But we are assembling a list of where to go when my husband and I can plan a trip to this area and take our time. He's never been, and we're getting so much good information. Besides the parks, the hiking, the fly fishing (Ennis), we've been hearing about Chico Hot Springs, Bozeman, Lamar, etc. A couple weeks worth, for sure, especially if fishing involved. So thanks, all, for your help!

FYI, our current itinerary is:

(1) Denver to Jackson (got a room at the Buckrail Lodge);

(2) Jackson--GTNP--south YNP--Canyon (room at the OF Snow Lodge);

(3) OF--geysers--north west side of the loop--Hebgen Lake area--Deer Lodge, MT (room at the Western Big Sky Inn);

(4) Deer Lodge--home!

Edited: 11 June 2013, 16:01
6. Re: Jackson or Moran as we drive towards GTNP from Denver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17