We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

Hi all,

Shortly I will be on a road trip which will pass through Wyoming. I am trying to finalise my route either via Denver or Utah and I am interested in seeing the Wind River Native Indian Reservation. I have done some research but it seems that the reservation area has very high crime rates and I am wondering if it is a safe place to visit / stay / travel through. I am particularly concerned as I am a solo female traveller from Australia.

Is there anyone who would be able to provide any advice / suggestions / ideas on this. Any help would be appreciated. Especially on safe places to stay and routes to take / avoid, etc.

Thanks

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,272 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

The reservation does have a high crime rate, but driving through on the main roads is as safe as any other part of Wyoming. Where did you intend to go and by what route? If you can answer that question, I can give you more detailed advice.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

I drive solo through it without concern. Drugs, alcohol and crime are pretty much everywhere in the world. So many people are just oblivious to it around them but want to watch it on TV or in the movies. I don't get that at all.

Anyway, it's ok to travel through the reservation on the main roads. Hope you have a good trip.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 03:56
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated

4. Re: Road trip through Wind River Reservation - is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:18