We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route between Jackson and Yellowstone

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,766 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic route between Jackson and Yellowstone

I posted a similar thread a few months ago, but since our itinerary has changed a bit, I thought I’d post again and see if opinions have changed. We will be driving from Jackson Hole to YNP (Canyon Lodge) on September 6th. We will have had three nights in Jackson and we will have five nights in YNP, so I am not worried about getting to Canyon Lodge in a hurry because we will not have any major plans for the night we arrive.

So I know the most direct route is North via Route 287, but I am also tempted by the more circuitous route of North West via Route 20 through Idaho and Montana (my husband and I have this thing where we want to see as many US states as possible!) I don’t mind the extra driving (an extra hour according to Google maps) I just want to know which people think is the most scenic drive.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route between Jackson and Yellowstone

I think the view from the *front* side of the Tetons is nicer than the back side facing Idaho. You will be driving thru some ranch and farm land on the Idaho side which is nice, but I like the other way better.

However, there is a nice scenic drive called Mesa Falls Byway that is nice.

www.idahobyways.gov/byways/mesa-falls.aspx

If you just want to tick Idaho off your list, on one day you can leave the park by the West gate, go thru West Yellowstone and head west on US20. The Idaho state line is not too far west of town...maybe 10 miles or so??

Pam

2. Re: Most scenic route between Jackson and Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 06:19