We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Highbridge UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Hi

We are planning a trip to the rockies in 2014 but also want to visit several places in South Dakota so apologies if I am in the wrong forum

We plan to fly into Denver at the end of July and do an anticlockwise trip taking in the following

Badlands Custer State Park Mount Rushmore Deadwood in Dakota

Bighorn Battle Site (Montana I think ? ) Cody and of course YNP and GTNP in Wyoming

We also would like to take in a rodeo as we are there

So is it worth staying in Cheyenne to see Frontier Days is the first question

We are thinking of basing in Rapid City to see the sights in SD and we also want to see Fort Laramie so how we do that depends on if we stay a night or so in Cheyenne

The big question is seeing the parks and where we stay to do that

We are thinking 2/3 days in GTNP staying at Jackson and 3/4 days in YNP staying in the park. If we want to see Bighorn Battleground can we do that from YNP or should we spend a day or 2 in Cody to take in the museum and battle sites ?

If it helps we are in our fifties but quite fit and we are not stuck to a time limit but think 14 to 16 nights ?

If anyone has any thoughts on our trip anything we havnt listed but must see or anything I have listed that may not be worth the trip we would be very grateful for any advice or tips

Thanks

Craig

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

>Bighorn Battle Site (Montana I think ?

That's correct.

>So is it worth staying in Cheyenne to see Frontier Days

Yes, good chance to see some great rodeo. Otherwise, Cody also has a good rodeo. I'd rather do Frontier Days than see Ft. Laramie, if the choice is between the two.

>should we spend a day or 2 in Cody to take in the museum and battle sites ?

I'd stay in Cody to see the museums. The Little Big Horn battlefield, however, is way east of Cody, over the Big Horn Mountains and north of Sheridan. That's too far to drive from Cody and back. The Indian Wars in Wyoming were fought on the east side of the Big Horns.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 19:10
Highbridge UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Thank you for your help Teton Bill. I will have to think again about how to fit battle site in .

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Well, on the day you leave the Black Hills area, you could consider stopping at Devil's Tower then doing Little Big Horn and overnighting in Billings or Red Lodge. You could then travel over Beartooth Highway and enter Yellowstone thru the NE entrance. You can work your way thru the park staying at Old Faithful then Canyon or Lake, then head out to Cody, back in to the park and exit thru the South entrance to Grand Tetons.

The more days you can devote to this venture, the better. 16 days would not be too few to see everything you would like to see. We usually recommend 3 or 4 full days in Yellowstone to touch on most of the big sites.

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

>how to fit battle site in .

I suppose you could see the battlefield on your way from SD to Cody.

editing: completely agree with D0bby.

Edited: 09 August 2013, 19:50
Highbridge UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Thank you Pam . It seems i may have to revamp our plans somewhat

This is just what i hoped for some local knowledge

Regards

Craig

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,560 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

Devil's Tower is not too far from the Interstate so makes an interesting short diversion off the highway.

I meant to include a link to Beartooth Highway in my other post in case you are not familiar with it. The end of July is a perfect time to plan to drive it. Not much chance of it getting closed by snow as it is earlier or later in the summer!

http://beartoothhighway.com/beartooth-vistas/

Pam

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

We just returned from those very areas. You may wish to check out Hardin Montana

for your stay and visit to The Battle of the Little Bighorn National Monument. Hardin

was a most interesting little town with a great museum about the area and it is about

15 minutes drive from the battle field.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,996 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

We've done that trip a couple of times flying in and out of Denver. These are my suggestions-

Day 1- travel from Denver to Black Hills of SD

Day 2-3-4- Black Hills/Badlands NP/Deadwood (look at online travel guide at www.travelsd.com)

Day 5- Devils Tower/Battle of Little Bighorn Battlefield

Day 6- Cody- museums and rodeo

Day 7-8-9-10- Yellowstone NP (split lodging in park between OF and Canyon/Lake and book only thru Xanterra- park is large and much to see- http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/)

Day 11-12- GTNP

Day 13- Jackson Hole

Day 14- drive to Lander, WY

Day 15- drive to Denver

Day 16- fly home

Enjoy your trip planning!!

Highbridge UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

I am sorry I thought I had replied here

Thank you all for the help and thanks for the itinerary PeachBelle :)

10. Re: Wyoming and South Dakota 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:17