We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

I'd like to thank Denalicat for some of the best advice I've received lately. We had planned on camping in Lamar Valley for three months before our trip date. I was reading trip reports before we left and it sounded like people weren't having much luck with wildlife. Denalicat convinced me to stick with my plan and not pay so much attention to other people’s experiences. Great Advice! In our three days in Lamar Valley we saw Buffalo everywhere, Antelope, Mule Deer, Grizzlies [A lot] and even wolves. The wolves were far away so I didn't get any pictures but, people were very gracious in letting us view them through their scopes.

If you are just driving through Lamar Valley in the middle of the day chances are that you aren't going to see much but if you can be there from 7am to 9am and 5pm to 8pm I think you will have good sightings.

I'd also like to thank a man named John B. [I'll withhold his last name for privacy]. When we got to Slough Creek campground at 1030 in the morning they were already full. John called us over to his truck and offered us his campsite as he sleeps in the back of his truck. He wouldn't accept payment "Not even beer that we had bought :-] All he said was pay it forward.

I have included a link to my picture sharing site so you can see what Yellowstone and Grand Teton have to offer. Click on one of the scrolling pictures and you will be given an option to view a slideshow. http://jeffhoover.shutterfly.com

Edited: 29 September 2013, 16:58
Buffalo Roam Tours - Day Tours
Multi-day Tours, Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Hole Hiking Experience
Ski & Snow Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Shurr Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Eco Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

Beautiful photos-- thanks for sharing them! You got many great animal shots and I loved the story of the bull moose walking through the Dairy Queen drive-thru in Jackson! Maybe he had a hankering for some Moose Tracks ice cream.

Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

LOL, When we parked our car and followed the moose the guy working the drive through was leaning out the window and my wife had the same joke. By the way the DQ worker looked amazed and said that never happens :-]

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,555 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

Thanks for sharing. Absolutely fabulous photos!!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
22,275 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

Terrific pictures! Loved the snow and the moose/DQ story.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Pam

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

So glad Lamar worked out for you! Staying in a campground in Lamar is so much more advantageous than a quick drive-thru report of animals in Lamar. Lamar valley has never let me down when I camp in there a few days.

Great photos! Lots of bears!! Glad you saw wolves too, even at a distance. Thanks for sharing your good luck!

Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

Yeah we did see a lot of bears. A Ranger told us that they believe there are 22 Grizzlies living in Lamar. I think we saw seven adults but it is hard to tell if a few were repeats. We were using a scope to watch a sow and three cubs in one direction and also a big male in another direction when a couple stopped to tell us that there was a Grizzly by the road a few minutes away. Gotta love the action :-]

7. Re: Good Advise. Thanks Denalicat :-]

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:20