We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

There have been recent winter visitors to Wyoming who have almost come to grief after being stranded in their cars for some period of days before they were rescued. So, what survival gear should you have in your car if you're driving Wyoming rural roads during the winter?

Well, think about this scenario: You and your spouse (and kids?) are traveling a Wyoming road toward the end of the day. Your car skids off the road and runs into deep snow. There's no cell service (like most of rural Wyoming). This road is lightly traveled, so you may be stuck for a day or two before help arrives. (If you have a satellite phone, you can stop reading.)

For whatever it's worth, here's the gear that we keep in each of our vehicles. You may not want to adopt the entire list, but it's here for your consideration.

sleeping bags rated to -20F.

ski caps, ski masks, turtles, gloves, wool socks, sunglasses, winter mittens

snow shoes, pair of high top snow boots rated to -100F

snow suit

snow shovel (to keep the tailpipe clear of snow), sand, hatchet

ice scraper

tow chain

tire chains or cables

battery cables

40' of high test rope

paper and pen; waterproof baggies

food

water (placed inside the sleeping bags)

toilet paper and travel johns; plastic garbage bags and twist ties

map, compass, matches and fire starter, small backpack, blaze (if someone leaves for help, he needs to mark his trail); head lamp and batteries

flashlights and batteries

road flares

flare gun and parachute flares

pocket knife

During the winter, we don't allow gas tanks to get below half full.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

Great list TB! I think your advice applies to your neighboring states as well.

I also keep what we call *old blue* in the car too. It is the roll of blue paper toweling that is sold as shop toweling.

For travel just around my local area I keep an extra jacket and gloves in the back as well as a blanket. All of these I am willing to give away in case I come across someone who has had a slide off or a breakdown and I need to leave it with them while they wait for a tow.

This is such a timely topic.

Pam

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

Good list (and, sadly, one most people probably won't even have a tenth of in their vehicle). I would add newspaper. It's great insulation (stuff it inside your clothes) and if you need to start a fire outside of the car as a signal it's dry tinder.

The one big, big thing you didn't list is Common Sense. Sometimes it's best to just not be out there driving around. Allow extra time in travel plans in case you need to hunker down until conditions improve. Your life and those who are trying to find you are too precious to waste on a tight schedule.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,429 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

Great info!!

4. Re: Traveling Wyoming in winter, what survival gear do you need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:18