We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

Hi. A friend and I are planning to road trip Route 89. Initially we were going to drive from Glacier National Park in Montana to Tucson, AZ but quickly realized that we want to see too much along the way to drive the whole distance in 2.5 weeks. Therefore, we are going to break it up over two trips. Next fall we are going to start in Montana and drive down to Salt Lake City and then in 2015 we are going to finish the trip. Here is what I have come up with for an initial itinerary. Is this doable? I am really curious about possible drive times - I have a feeling we won't be driving 70 mph. I want to make sure we have time to stop and enjoy the sights along the way. Any comments, critiques, suggestions are welcome. (I also posted this in the Montana Forum).

September 11: Fly to Kalispell. Glacier National Park. Overnight (ON) West Side of Glacier National Park (GNP)

9/12: Glacier National Park. ON West Side GNP

9/13: Drive Going to Sun Road. ON East Side GNP

9/14: GNP. ON East Side GNP

9/15: Route 89 to Gardiner. ON Gardiner (May break this up into two days)

9/16: Drive Bear Tooth Scenic Highway to Billings. ON Billings

9/17: Little Bighorn Battlefield then on to Cody via Alt 14 through Lovell and Powell stopping at Medicine Wheel National Historic Site. ON Cody

9/18: Cody to Themopolis. ON Thermopolis

9/19: South Pass City. ON Jackson

9/20: Grand Teton. ON Jackson

9/21: Grand Teton. ON Jackson

9/22: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/23: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/24: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/25: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/26: Continue on 89 down through Idaho to Salt Lake City. ON Salt Lake City

9/27: Salt Lake City. ON Salt Lake City.

9/28: Salt Lake City. Fly home.

Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

Route 89 goes through the Little Belt Mts, which we really enjoy. That drive from St Marys to Gardiner can be a day trip.

Looks like you have given yourselves lots of time in all 3 parks. Best to finalize this to get lodging in the parks soon!!

The drive south of Thermopolis through the Wind River Canyon is incredibly beautiful. Interesting route you have chosen to go via Sinks Canyon & up to Jackson.

One of the reasons I am posting on this is in hopes of Teton Bill commenting on that route! I'll see if I can alert him to this as this is his "backyard" expertise!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

Good thought Denalicat. I posted thoughts on the Montana thread but I was thinking of TetonBill when I did so!

To the OP, if you are interested in Oregon Trail history, TetonBill has an excellent loop out around Independence Rock near Casper.

Pam

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

>9/17: Little Bighorn Battlefield then on to Cody via Alt 14 through Lovell and Powell stopping at Medicine Wheel National Historic Site. ON Cody 9/18: Cody to Themopolis. ON Thermopolis

The route looks fine to me, although I question the overnight in Thermopolis unless you intend to do something there (dinosaur museum or hot springs maybe?).

If you have any other questions about the route, feel free to post them.

Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

Thanks for the responses.

Pam (D0bby), I am going to respond to your response to my Montana post here. You suggested going to Thermopolis first, then Cody and entering Yellowstone by the east entrance, spending time in Yellowstone, then Grand Tetons before continuing on to Salt Lake City. What route would you suggest to Thermopolis? I have us going to Cody first and then on to Thermopolis because I heard/read that Alt 14 through Lovell and Powell was scenic. Then I wanted to drop down to South Pass City and check that out and then head up to Jackson either via 26/287 or 189/191. I've tried to come up with a route that doesn't have too much backtracking but that has been hard to do. Another option I had was to from Cody go into Yellowstone for a few days (9/18-9/21) then go to Thermopolis and then on to South Pass City and then Jackson/Grand Tetons before heading to Salt Lake City. Does that make more sense?

TetonBill - I choose the ON in Thermopolis because I thought we would probably get into Cody later on 9/17. Then on 9/18 we can spend a little time in Cody before heading down to Thermopolis. In Thermopolis, I would like to check out the hot springs. Then I thought we could overnight there and the next day head down to South Pass City check that out and the leisurely drive to Jackson. Do you have any other ideas?

Here is an alternate route that I have considered. Is this one preferable?

Same itinerary up to 9/17.

9/17: Little Bighorn Battlefield then on to Cody via Alt 14 through Lovell and Powell stopping at Medicine Wheel National Historic Site. ON Cody

9/18: Cody to Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/19: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/20: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/21: Yellowstone. ON Yellowstone

9/22: Yellowstone to Theromopolis via Cody. ON Therompolis

9/23: South Pass City. ON Jackson

9/24: Grand Teton. ON Jackson

9/25: Grand Teton. ON Jackson

9/26: Continue on 89 down through Idaho to Salt Lake City. ON Salt Lake City

9/27: Salt Lake City. ON Salt Lake City.

9/28: Salt Lake City. Fly home.

5. Re: Preliminary itinerary for Montana/Wyoming Road Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 06:18