We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about our yellowstone trip

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
question about our yellowstone trip

hi, we are thinking about visiting yellowstone np in july 2014.

our trip has to start and finish in bozeman. my initial thought is:

1 night in bozeman

2 nights in yellowstone (inside the park if possible)

2 nights in jackson/teton np

1 night in cody

1 night in bozeman and early flight out

do you find it a good plan? do you think we should avoid cody and drive back to bozeman through idaho? (idaho falls, rigby etc). we are mostly interested in driving through beautiful scenery, even if its the longest drive

the total nights has to be 7. we re waiting for your opinion! ty all

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

Looks like a good plan. But since you only have a limited time, I suggest skipping Cody so that you have more time in Yellowstone (so 3 nights YNP and 2 nights GTNP).

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

I agree with OhioHick, the more time in Yellowstone the better. Two nights there only gives you one full day. We had five nights there at Canyon two years ago which was wonderful.

Personally speaking - if you can - four nights (3 days) in Yellowstone is the minimum time to spend there, one day for the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, one day for Mammoth Hot Springs and one day for the area around, and near, Old Faithful.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

I agree, with OhioHick and Teesside. Skip Cody. Drive back thru Yellowstone. In fact, I would probably do 1 or 2 nights in Yellowstone, then do your 2 nights in Grand Tetons, then finish up in Yellowstone with your remaining 2 or 1 nights, so you are going a big circle. This works really well if you are staying at Old Faithful for part of your time and Canyon or Lake the other time, then you can insert Grand Tetons in the middle.

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,613 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

I agree more time in Yellowstone. You will need every minute- the park is huge and there is so much to see.

Here are the major sights with a map to help you plan-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

With all due respect to the first two posters unless you like to spend the vast majority of your time in your vehicle in traffic I'd split time between the two parks pretty evenly. I'd go to Livingston, then down into Yellowstone and stay night one at Roosevelt or Silvergate. Next morning after one last EARLY cruise of the Lamar I'd go over Dunraven to Canyon. If you hike the 3 miler to the top of Mt. Washburn on top of Dunraven is pretty special, 3-5 hours for the reasonably fit. Get to canyon for night 2 and take in the Canyon (do not miss short descent to the Brink of the Lower Falls) that evening or the next morning. After that I'd loop over to Old Faithful if you've never seen it and then on down to Flagg Ranch for night 3. NExt day I'd do some great stuff in GTNP and then either stay at Dornans Spur Cabins on the Snake in Moose or get two nights in Jackson. Next day more in GTNP or take Aerial Tram at Teton Village. Head to Bozeman over Teton Pass

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

Many of us on the forum feel Flagg Ranch is inconvenient for touring either Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons. It's too far south for Yellowstone and too far north for conveniently seeing Grand Tetons. There are no services in the area except Flagg so you have no choice for restaurants either.

Yellowstone also is many times bigger than Grand Tetons with over 300 miles of paved roads to access the park which is why again, most of us, recommend an uneven split to days with more spent in Yellowstone than Grand Tetons. It doesn't take away at all from the beauty of the Tetons, but for folks traveling a long way and perhaps only making one trip to the area, the emphasis is usually on seeing as many of the top sights as possible.

Regarding traffic, yes it is worse in the high summer months, but it is not nearly as bad as city traffic anywhere! Besides you are in Yellowstone!

Pam

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

Hmmm, I figured that with 5 nights for the parks a 3 night Yellowstone, 2-night GT split was about as even as you could get. Regardless, I don't see the correlation between the split of times between the parks and traffic. Besides getting up and getting on the road or trail early is the best remedy to traffic.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

Thank you all for the responce.

i understand that for yellowstone np not even a week would be enough and appreciate your recommendations to stay more, but to be honest, driving as much as we can and visiting as many places as we can is the main goal of our road trip in this area.

we did a road trip in your beautiful and diverse country once more and had the best trip of our lives just because we visited so many beautiful places, villages and towns, met so many kind and helpful people and saw so diverce scenery. to make it more specific and to give you an example of what we did, during our 6 night great road trip 2 years ago, we visited and spent one night each in grand canyon, monument valley, mesa verde, telluride, ouray and durango. ofcourse we realised that grand canyon would need 3 days by itself, but because we didnt have time, it was better for us to just visit the grand canyon see the "must see" sites and do some short hikes than staying there and missing the rest of our trip to mesa verde and the magnificent rockies!!!

my point is that we are not interested to see "everything" in the parks.thats why i think 2 days would be ok for us in yellowstone, beacause we are more interested in visiting more places

in that concept i would put my question again. which drive would be better for scenery to return to bozeman from jackson? in which town-village would it be a nice experience to spend the night in this beautiful area on our trip back to bozeman from jackson?(cody was just an idea of mine because i found interesting the buffalo bill museum). rigby with the television museum seemed also a good idea to me. i am waiting for your ideas. thank you all again for the previous responces!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,214 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

I think you should drive back thru Yellowstone. Altho the scenery thru Idaho is interesting and you will see the *back* side of the Tetons, I would spend my time driving back thru the park. It will increase your chances of seeing interesting wildlife.

Pam

10. Re: question about our yellowstone trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19