We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone to Las Vegas

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone to Las Vegas

Hi we are hoping to fly into billings or Bozeman and drive to west Yellowstone for a couple of nights. What are the main attractions to see apart from old faithful in this area. We hope to drive onto Las Vegas and would like to stay in Salt Lake City on route but we would need a couple of stop overs between Yellowstone and salt lake as we don't like to drive ant big distances at one time. Coming from Ireland any more than a two hours drive and we run out of road. Has anyone any suggestions where to stop.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,401 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone to Las Vegas

Here is a link to the major sights in Yellowstone-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

The park is huge and there are over 300 miles of paved roads in the park.

Are you also visiting the Grand Tetons NP which are adjacent to Yellowstone? You need a day or two there.

You need at least 3-4 days in Yellowstone to even begin to see the park. Two nights/1 full day will not even begin to scratch the surface as the saying goes of the park. About all you could see in one day would be OF and the geyser area. If you stay in the park then it will cut down on driving times. Split lodging between OF and Canyon/Lake area. Here is link to lodging- keep checking even if nothing available because cancellations occur all the time.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

It is only 5 hours from Yellowstone to SLC. I suppose to us on the road trip forum that is a piece of cake!!!

We have never stopped to overnight so hopefully others will chime in with suggestions. I do know that from the parks you go thru Idaho Falls so that might be a suggestion.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone to Las Vegas

Hopefully, I'm misunderstanding your post .

From SLC to Vegas will be another 6+ hr. drive, so if you only drive in 2-hr. increments it will take you 6 days to get there from YNP. You may want to rethink your plan - either not as many stopovers, or maybe fly?

In YNP itself there are over 300 miles of paved roads, so with your driving time constraints you may not get to see very much of the park in just 2 days.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone to Las Vegas

From West Yellowstone (the town on the west edge of the park) to SLC takes a little over 5 hours of driving. If you intend to take most of 3 days to make that trip - which would normally take only an afternoon - it's going to take a very, very long drive to LV.

You may find driving here a little easier than Ireland, even though we drive on the wrong side of the road. When I drove in Ireland, between the narrow roads and the constant stops to retrieve the side view mirrors torn off the car, plus driving a stick shift on the opposite side I'm used to, together with my wife's constant shrieking, I found it very stressful. It made me long for less stressful things, like breaking horses at home. Of course, after a few months of therapy, I was feeling much better.

Anyway, I digress. My point is that you may want to give driving longer distances a try and see how it works for you.

luck maith!

Edited: 03 March 2014, 23:52
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone to Las Vegas

Thank you all for your suggestions some quite humorous. We might look at flying to vegas to give us more time in the parks or else relook at our plans after vegas. Thanks again

5. Re: Yellowstone to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2015, 06:16