We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week eastern wyoming

Groveland...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1 week eastern wyoming

Planning a 2 week vacation to eastern Wyoming and then western So. Dakota for the 2nd & 3rd week of August. Will probably fly into Cheyene and fly out of Rapid CIty. We are late 50's & early 60's, We don't like big cities and prefer the more laid back scenic towns to stay. We will be driving north during the week and would even love to drive in to Montana to see Custers Last Stand and stay there one night.

What are the places/sites we must see? Are there a few towns along the way you recommend to stay for a couple of nights each. I figured that after Custers Last Stand area we would drive into So. Dakota to visit the Badland and Black Hills staying in an area in northern western So. Dakota (I have been told Spearfish is nice but avoid Deadwood). I was also told to stay in Hill City as a base to explore the blackhills and the Badlands. This would be at the end of our trip and bring us close to Rapid City to fly home (We are from Mass.)

So basically we are driving an oblong, clockwise route starting in Cheyennne going north to Custers Last Stand then into So. Dakota and then south to Hill CIty.

We enjoy scenicc car & train rides, historical areas, antiques, water water rafting, would like to try horseback riding. Any help you folks can supply will allow me to firm up our plans ,make plane and hotel reservations. Thanks again

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
717 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week eastern wyoming

Seasonal Forecast indicates it will be VERY hot. Have you been to Greater Yellowstone? You have a long time out herer, I'd concentrate more on Greater Yellowstone and if you must hit the Black Hills and Rushmore for a much shorter time frame.

Rock Springs...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week eastern wyoming

If you are looking for a place to headquarter for several days, look at the Bunkhouse Bed & Breakfast in Aladdin, Wyoming. It is right on the border so it's an easy drive to Devils Tower, Sundance, Mount Rushmore, Silver City, Little Big Horn, etc.

I assume you already know about the 1880 Train?

The Black Hills are a great place to ride horses for the first time - nice rolling hills, very experienced horses.

Have a great trip!

3. Re: 1 week eastern wyoming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 05:16