We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Safety

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Bear Safety

A little more knowledge from you guys please...I know to carry bear spray and make a noise as I walk. If you make noise does that also reduce chances of spotting other wildlife?I would hate to scare away everything lol.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Safety

Perhaps, but the lovely thing about Yellowstone is that a lot of wildlife can be spotted from the road, especially in Lamar Valley. What kind of wildlife do you aspire to see on the trails that you feel won't be seen from afar, uninterrupted, on the road?

I am not a person who likes to park and view wildlife from the road, but that is where you may see much of what you are looking for - especially when you see a bunch of folks gathered in a pull over with some spotting scopes.

If you are thinking that you'll be hiking and suddenly walk up on a wolf den with a bunch of cubs etc... that is not going to happen - they are much to smart for that.

My noise making on the trail has not deterred me from ungulates or small mammals such as marmots, picas (more in GTNP) or other cool things such as birds etc. Better to be safe than sorry. I haven't made a lot of noise when I hike, but I do carry bear spray. I probably lack on the better sense when it comes to making noise, but I'm glad I have the bear spray, and I am ready to use it.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 05:46
Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
606 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Safety

I also holster a frion air horn and make some noise in short sight distance areas like through willows or along tight forested water courses. I am of the opinion that there is essentially no value to bear bells unless you appreciate driving some folks crazy.

Some folks say an airhorn is not good. It has served me quite well. Hike your own hike.

3. Re: Bear Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 05:17