We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

A lot of you guys are very good about sharing photos and trip reports online. I'm not great with that. I'd rather respond and help because I'm so busy but I wanted to share some photos that I will probably never be able to experience again. With some other photos, you'll find a sow and her yearling Cub who walked right in front of me. The experience is very amazing if not life changing and I hope you find the same "high" carefully and cautiously sometime on your trip.

It was a very awkward situation for someone who promotes bear safety and keeping away from bears when they are on the side of the road. We passed her in a field and my husband was able to park 1/2 mile down the road when he finally found a pull out. It was my birthday and he asked, "Do you want to run back and take a photo......?". I went for it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125703853@N06/sets/72157645356506421/

I went back and found the bears much closer to the road than I expected! I wish I had brought my bear spray.. You never know!

Edited: 26 June 2014, 03:01
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,393 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Awesome photos!! Thanks for sharing.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,142 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Great photos, thanks for posting them.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Great stuff. Grizz are also hanging out on the Buffalo not far from your photo spots.

NJ
Level Contributor
385 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Terrific photos!

And as a "newbie" whose first trip is next month, I'd like to say that nice folks like you who answer questions on the forum and just as helpful as the nice folks who write trip reports. I'm grateful to all!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Great photos, thanks for posting. Did your hackles finally subside? :)

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

My hackles did finally subside. I'm almost ready to hike along again lol, because those two bears were so "nice."

I'm joking of course. It makes me wonder if that bear would act any differently if confronted with hikers on a trail because she has been surrounded by people/somewhat acclimated. Just like people - the Grizz can have their bad day. You never know. A crowd of people around a road is a lot different than 1 or 2 lone hikers on the trail.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 03:58
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
19,051 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

Thanks for the share!

Pam

8. Re: Yellowstone Grizzly Sow/Yearling and Precautions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2015, 05:17