We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyoming in the middle of May

Hull City Of...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wyoming in the middle of May

HI

i have a vacation on 20th may for 12 days from the uk. I would like to know if it is a good time for the Tetons and Yellowstone , weather. Also i believe you have labour day would that make life difficult for me I intended to start in Laramie travel across state to Jackson ,through Yellowstone across

to south Dakota and back down to fly from Denver could i enjoy the trip in that time?

regards Pat uk

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyoming in the middle of May

It would be a wonderful vacation, a little early for the Tetons and Yellowstone; there will still be some snow, but most roads should be open. It may still be chilly in the Black Hills and Badlands, too. We honeymooned there over Memorial Day weekend several years ago and went in the caves to warm up! 12 days for the trip sounds as if it would be about the right length of time to really enjoy your surroundings. Not everything will be open yet, but enough should be that you will have a wonderful time.

Hull City Of...
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyoming in the middle of May

Thanks for the correction GIBBY2 and advice. Just now wondering if it would be better to start my trip from Denver moving up to rushmore ETC. and then across to Yellowstone Tetons a week later

regards Pat uk

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyoming in the middle of May

Some of that depends on what you're going to see. If you're going to see the outdoor sites that don't require admission, such as driving, hiking, etc., I would say definitely do the Black Hills/Badlands first. (Badlands and Custer State Park both require an entry fee, but are open year-round, so are Wind Cave National Monument and Jewel Cave National Park). However, many of the tourist stops, including the other caves and some museums are not open until Memorial Day weekend. This year, that would be the weekend of May 26 - May 28. All roads in Yellowstone are projected to be open my May 11. It's just really hard to say what the weather will be like that time of year in the mountains. It should be beautiful either way. Both places you mentioned are among my favorite places to visit. Devil's Tower would be worth a stop between Yellowstone and the Black Hills. Rocky Mountain National Park would be definitely worth a stop (if the road is open) either on your way out of Denver or on your return trip.

If you do add Devil's Tower (just a few hours) and Rocky Mountain National Park (a few hours to days, depending of how much you want to explore) you would save a little by getting a National Parks pass from the National Parks Foundation. Most National Parks charge an entry fee, and the pass is $50 for a whole year, good at any National Park you visit. If the Badlands, and Yellowstone/Grand Teton are the only National Parks you'll stop at, you wouldn't save any money with the pass. The National Park/Monument caves only charge a fee for the cave tours. (Mount Rushmore is "free", but there is a parking charge.)

4. Re: Wyoming in the middle of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 00:18