We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

Oakland County, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

I am starting to plan a 10-12 day self guided driving tour of Alaska (traveling in July and/or August of 2014). Traveling with me will be my wife and two elementary aged boys. We want to spend time in Denali, and want to spend time in both the interior and coastline of Alaska. Ideally, we would drive most of the trip with perhaps a short coastal cruise or train excursion mixed in. I also plan to mix in any day trips/excursions that are worthwhile. Does anyone have any advice on the following:

1. possible itineraries including best airports to fly in/out of?

2. must see attractions that are family friendly?

3. tours/excursions that are worthwhile?

4. Travel agencies that can assist with planning while allowing me to make my own decisions regarding accommodations, tours, etc.?

Anything else helpful would be appreciated, as I really don't know where to start. Alaska is on my wife's "bucket list" and I want to make it a special trip for her. Thanks for your advice and input.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

Fly in and out of Anchorage. Don't use a travel agent (I prefer to make my own choices). All attractions should be family friendly. Get a copy of the Milepost to use as a guide. That is what we did when we first visited Alaska. If you have problems planning itineraries, then study all the posts that have been made on this forum as there have been many of them

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,219 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

BTW why did you post this on the Adak forum? You cannot drive there.

Oakland County, MI
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

Thanks for pointing this out, didn't realize I did that. Thanks also for the advice, it is appreciated.

4. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 12:05
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

TravelHound, it's not difficult to plan your own trip of Alaska.

Anchorage airport is the oft-chosen flight destination.

Lock in a low rental car rate as soon as possible, one that can be changed if/when a lower rate comes available.

With your interests of Denali & coastal areas, a drive north to Denali National Park & a drive south of Anchorage to Seward might be of interest. Seward has sea life day cruises, the sea life center, exit glacier, hikes, etc. In Denali a shuttle bus, rather than a tour, is the economical way to go. There is also the dog sled demo, visitor center, hikes in Denali.

Many folks spend the first night in Anchorage after a flight.

For Denali National Park, many folks prefer lodging in nearby Healy. Here are options for lodging:

http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Or Carlo Creek just south of the park has cute, rustic cabins that might be fun for a family:

http://www.denaliparklodging.com/

None of us advise driving straight through from Denali to Seward. A great stop in between would be Anchorage or Girdwood. Lots to do with a family out of Girdwood, including Portage Glacier, a glacier cruise out of Whittier, the AK Wildlife Conservation Center, tram ride at Girdwood, hiking to a hand tram. Lots of info about all this in this link:

tripadvisor.com/…47298453

Lots of beautiful stops on the way down to Seward. Lodging ideas, including Holiday Express with a pool if that is of interest:

http://www.sewardchamber.org/

Info on sea life day cruises out of Seward:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60873-i1361-k3419…

Lots to reseach! There are lots of old trip reports that will give you ideas.

Here's a great one of jennifer's with kids:

tripadvisor.com/…41348087

And another family trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k55156…

Here's a family trip (ot 1 & 2) with an RV rental, another option for your family:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k55287…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k55312…

Have fun planning what will work best for your family & holler with questions!

Edited: 19 July 2013, 13:56
6. Re: 10-12 Day Self Driving Iteneray Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Adak Island