We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest way to and from San Fran

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest way to and from San Fran

My wife and daughter are going to Alameda for work and would like to visit San Fran. What is the easiest and least expensive way to get into and out of San Fran from Alemeda

10 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

sanfranciscobayferry.com/route/alameda/sffb

Ferry

Edited: 29 March 2014, 02:43
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

Depends on where in Alameda they'll be staying and whether they'll have a car. While the Alameda Ferry terminal is on "Main Street" it is not anywhere near downtown Alameda.

There are AC Transit buses from Alameda into SF.

Give us more info and we can be of better help.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

They will be near the south shore center. They will not have a car. I have looked into the ferry however they will be heading into San Fran in the evenings so they may ride the ferry in but will need transport back to Alameda.

Thank you for your timely responses.

Edited: 29 March 2014, 03:19
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

They can take BART and AC Transit Bus back. I would avoid the Fruitvale Station at night even though it may look closer. Looks like there is a bus from City Centre in Oakland (better but still use caution) to near where they are staying.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

The W is the AC transbay from SF to Alameda - runs right by them. But last bus leaves SF at 8p. If they leave later, then BART to local AC Transit bus.

www.actransit.org/maps/schedule_results.php…

Edited: 29 March 2014, 03:41
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

I wouldn't not use those BART stations at night. But I have no first hand knowledge with AC transit at night. Not sure PP does either.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,414 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

2nd hand knowledge. I have family in Oakland and Alameda who use AC Transit. But they too do not ride from SF at night. I have driven by Fruitvale Station at night by accident a few times. Did not feel safe.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

Well now we know they will be staying in Emeryville. What's the closest safe Bart station to them?

Thanks again

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

No BART stations in Emeryville. There are a couple not far and there are some Emeryville shuttles. Please give us the exact location where they'll be staying.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest way to and from San Fran

Ok gang- we finally got their hotel- it's the doubletree marina in Berkely. So what's the safest most economical way to get in and out of San Fran in the evenings

Reply to: Easiest way to and from San Fran
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alameda