We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

My gosh, a day pass is incredibly expensive.

Anyone have any ideas how to get discounted passes?

Have not been since I was very young and would like to go, just seems rather expensive.

Thanks all for your opinions and ideas on how to do and see the most and pay the least :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Yes a 1 day pass IS expensive - but getting a 2,3 or even 4 day park hopper is more practical. You need to get out of the mind set - "Amusement Park" There is so much more to Disneyland - think of what you are getting for your money and the tremendous expense it costs to operate. Think - the rides are all included in that pass - you can go as much as you want on your favorites. There are ways to compromise - choose your hotel carefully - and maximaize your time so you don't have to drive, or spend money for parking, or waste time on shuttles. A motel like The Park Vue or the Best Western Park Place as close and reasonable. Get breakfat included in your room cost and eat hearty in the morning. There are fast food options in Disney that won't break the bank. Go on to Allears.com and read the menues and decide where you can afford to eat. Think of the money you waste at home for small things - lattes, extra magazines, etc that add up.

My trick is to save the change in the botom of my purse. I have a habit of when I get change to through it into the bottom og my purse. At least once a week - I take it out and throw it into a small barrel. I'm leaving in less than a month and I took my rolled up coins to the bank - $265.00 worth of "little missed money"

Finally, there are places in our lives that we will remember forever. I haven't been back for 14 years - but I remember my first visit when the park opened in July of 1955 and I was 11 years old. It is one of my very favorite places. I have a Southern California City Pass which has a 3 day hopper - 2 days at Disneyland and 1 day at California Adventure. Also will pay to go to Knotts Berry Farm which I always enjoy.

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

The only way to get your money's worth is to do a lot of homework and plan your day wisely. I've seen lots of families at Disney who seem to be in a daze. They don't know what is where or what to do next. They spend the first hour parking, taking the tram to the park, standing in the ticket line. They spend three hours of their day sitting on curbs waiting for an upcoming parade (gotta get a good view!) They spend two hours of their day in the various food lines. And, of course, hours on line for a few rides. And an hour of cellphone time keeping track of the kids and deciding where to meet up. And do you really need 90 minutes for "Downtown Disney" which is just-another-shopping-mall?

Pick a day that is generally not too crowded, eat a big breakfast start early, and have a plan. Disney fanatics post a wealth of information online to help you. Disney isn't known for discounts, especially in summer, but you can check AyresTravel and AAA or CAA to start with. In the park, you'll pay $10 for a quick lunch and 3 or $4 for each soft drink or bottled water...so budget for that as well. DON'T be a family of four that spends $400 for one day at Disneyland that features maybe 4 rides 4 snacks and 4 breaks because your shoes are hurting your feet!

Tip: head for the rides when others are sitting around waiting for the parade. They're less crowded at those times. You can always catch the tail-end of a parade up near the finish line rather than trying to crowd in on Main Street.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Hi,

We just returned in February after 10 days in Anaheim area. It is expensive but you can definitely save a lot of money if you plan. We have 5 kids and we are always looking for a bargain.

Using this website, someone offered us a 2 for 1 coupon for Universal studios , which they sent to us. We stayed at the Park Vue which is right by the crosswalk to Disney. This saved us parking fees as well they offered a free continental breakfast. They also had fridges and microwaves which we used for lunch.

We would go to Disney after the breakfast with a backpack of water and granola bars, fruit etc. for snacks. We would leave the park around 1:00 and I would make sandwiches and have a pre made salad while the kids swam.

We also got a five day pass for the price of a child's four day pass. This saved us a lot of money, since two of our kids are considered adults in Disneyland.

Go during low season or a quiet time if possible.

Hope this helps.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

While it's not the cheapest place to go, once you walk through the gate you don't HAVE to spend again, if you take snacks to tide you over- we just all want to get something once we're there. The more days you're there, the cheaper it is, so certainly try and go more than one day. But for the pleasure and entertainment, it's good value, we felt- at our state Royal Show it is dear enough to get through the gate, but then every amusement ride is paid for every time you go on, so being able to ride everything over and over at DL makes the price justified. Over here, if there was a Pirate ride at our show, it would be about $10 a ride- wouldn't take much to spend the same for the DL entry. Take the challenge- pay the price even for one day, and I feel that you will be delighted with the value. Believe me, no matter how corny it sounds, memories are worth SO much, and you will get great memories from here. Enjoy!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Just got back from D-land. We also saved money by snacking on granola bars and by finding cheap eats. Cheap eats at Disneyland and California Adventure are not truly cheap like $5 or $6 for a hot dog or slice of pizza (love Redds Rocketts Pizza Port in Tomorrowland). Soda is about $3. You are not supposed to eat outside food in the park but no one will question a small bottle of water and a handful of granola bars. We actually ate dinner at a few of the places on Harbor Blvd. Red Robin is a great place for burgers and salads and there isn't a long wait. We also went to Quizno's and McDonalds - for the kids. Discounted tickets are only available to residents of Southern California and you'll need to show proof of residency in order to redeem them. A 3 day parkhopper is pretty cheap if you get it through your hotel. We paid the kids price for three days and it was $134/person for the 3 day parkhopper. The kids price thing lasts through the month of April. Yes, we did feel like we were putting money through the paper shredder but we had a lot of fun for that money.

Boston...
Level Contributor
264 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

You can find lots of great Disney info at www.disboards.com

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Hi cooper1,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that if you order your disney park hopper passes in advance from the Disney website, you get them at a savings vs buying them at the gate or at a local hotel when you arrive. I think you have to get at a minimum the 2 day pass to get a discount. Give yourself plenty of time for the passes to arrive via snail mail. I ordered mine about 2 months in advance.

You will have no problems at all with bringing in a bottle of water, juice and snacks. Don't try to take in alcohol or any glass containers, as they will be confiscated. This helps keep costs down.

Also, as previously mentioned, (this has nothing to do with DL, but may be of interest to you, since you will be in the area already) the Entertainment book has some 2 for 1 coupons for Universal Studios; I think I have one of these in my current Entertainment book. Since I am not likely to get back to southern California before it expires in November, I would be willing to give it to you. If you're interested, just send me an email and I'll mail it to you. I'm sure it would arrive in a couple of days.

I hope that helps.

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

Yes the park pass is expensive, but I agree with the already stated that at Disneyland you are getting so much more than at just another amusement park. I would pay money to see the Aladdin show in CA Adventure alone!

Anyway...I have been bringing lunch into the Disney Parks for years and they have never said a word. We eat breakfast in our hotel room (either the continental breakfast or if one is not provided we bring instant oatmeal, granola bars etc.). Then we pack a lunch such as PB&J sandwiches, crackers, pringles, fruit cups. And we always bring our own water. And then at dinner we usually split something and then get a treat later (Beware of extra splitting fees at the fancy restaurants like the Blue Bayou). This has saved us lots of money in the past and is easy to do. Just as long as you don't spread out your picnic lunch on one of their restaurant tables or something rude like that they don't mind. It is perfect to eat your lunch while waiting for a parade to start or to pick a spot on mainstreet (people watch) and enjoy your sandwich. And as already mentioned don't bring any glass or alcohol. And just keep everything in a backpack as I'd assume they wouldn't let you drag your cooler around ;)

The multi day passes offer the best deal. And there are many nearby hotels that offer really great deals Sun-Thurs and are in walking distance of the park so that you don't have to use the shuttle or pay for parking.

9. Re: Is going to Disneyland park really that expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 22:17