We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Hello to you all, My family (2 adults, 2 children aged 10 & 4) will be spending 5 days in Anaheim, to go to Disneyland / Universal Studios / Drive around for a day, my questions are:

1. In May (30th April to 5th May) are there night time fireworks at Disneyland?

2. What are the best shuttle companies for return transfers to Universal Studios?

3. Best place for car hire (we will be hiring a car for a day to drive around to some sites ie. Hollywood sign, Malibu, some movie locations etc).

Thank you

16 replies to this topic
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
21,545 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Fireworks will be scheduled for weekend nights only, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 23:34
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
30,601 posts
94 reviews
2. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Keep in mind, Universal Studios is mostly set up for older children and adults to visit. There will likely be alot your 4 year old cant or wont want to do, and some things may be too intense for them. The best option for Universal really is just to get something like Uber to and from. That will allow you much more flexibility. Or rent a car for that day which will include a booster seat. Tours give you a really short time within the Park and will usually have you arriving after the Park opens, and leaving early, etc.

But you will have to have your own booster seat for the 4 year old to get around in most forms of travel. I would suggest purchasing something like "bubble bum" which is an inflatable booster seat you can deflate when not in use. That will allow you to use something like Uber to get around to things you want to do if you dont want to rent a car. Keep in mind for most smaller shuttles, Taxi's, Uber, Lyft, you must supply usually your own car seats which are required for children under 8 or 4'9".

Part of your dates though would be busier at Disneyland and include Grad nights which are starting early this year in early May instead on May 4th and 5th of your dates, and will have extra heavy crowds likely. Grad nights are for graduating High School Seniors and include a ticket to Disneyland for the day and and after hours Party. Unfortunately those are also likely the only dates you would see Fireworks and Fantasmic as well as Paint the Night Parade usually.

I would suggest if you can bump your trip to the week before that, you would have better crowds at least for that weekend so you could visit more easily on that weekend for the entertainment.

The "Is it Packed" site is a helpful resource as it shows crowd predictions. A "Hey its alright" means average busy crowds.

isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-pre…

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,197 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

If your plan is to "drive around for a day" please make a plan, and please drive to Universal, any Anaheim tour won't stay long enough to make the cost of going worthwhile.

Use Universal's web discount tickets which get you in an hour before general admission, do it on your own. Afterwards, drive the short distance to Hollywood & Highland shopping mall, the walk of fame is right outside, hand/footprints nearby. Visit Griffith Observatory by way of the shuttle to it (kindly read this link, I read a grumpy complaint from a visitor who didn't bother to understand how to get a TAP card - which you don't need - or have the correct change to pay the driver- read, be prepared!). This will make a nicd Hollywood-centric day. If a weekday, stay in LA until 7:30 pm so as not to join traffic.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,197 posts
262 reviews
4. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Universal, since the addition of the Harry Potter area, is not limited to older kids any longer, but the rides tend to be scary/thrill and have height requirements.

Here's a decent blog about entertaining small children at Universal Hollywood you might find helpful before you decide to go:

https:/…

If you don't think Universal will suit, don't despair! I've dozens of cheap or free family ideas, a nice foil to those expensive theme parks, so visit us in LA to enjoy:

https:/…83452428

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Hi,

We went to universals 2 years ago with a just turned 5 year old and 6 1/2 year old. Both loved it and were able to go on every ride.

We will be at Disneyland same dates as you. so excited. Have a great holiday.

Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Hi Edioh2 how did you get to Universal?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

We Had a rental car for most of our trip.

1 post
8. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Hi Lisa

We will be in LA in May also, Yay.

We always use uber or lyft there, we find that its cheaper and more convenient way to travel around LA.

In the past we have used a shuttle service which has cost us $40 USD Each ($200 USD) from Anaheim, Uber cost us $40-$60 USD for all 5 of us (Uber XL), but you will find a standard car will be cheaper.

Use this link to look at opening time, fireworks, etc at Disney. It has all the details for each day.

https:/…

You have such an amazing time. :)

Edited: 29 March 2018, 04:38
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
9. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Hi,

just wanted to share the excitement as we'll be in Hollywood April 30 then Anaheim May 3-7 :)

Just planning our days and it seems the fireworks are happening most nights you are there, if I am correct the fireworks are called Together Forever...if so then its on every night that you and I are there. I planned our trip around the weekend so we wouldn't miss out but it looks like we'll get to enjoy it nightly.

Have a great trip.

Sydney
Level Contributor
76 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018

Oh wow, how did you find that out?? That’s great, we are on the count down now, you?

Reply to: Disneyland / Universal in May 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted