We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ducks not available, what about Kings?

We are a family of four visiting from Australia this Sept/Oct. We were hoping to see an Anaheim Ducks game during our stay in Anaheim, but with a couple of the games being played in London, the dates don't work out for us. Our only option to see an hockey game is an LA Kings game at the Staples Center on a Saturday night. Would it be a nightmare to get to the Staples Center from Anaheim for the game, and back again afterwards? We will have a rental car available to use. Is parking an issue? or is public transport an option and is it safe at night? I would be grateful for any information - we are very keen to see a game because it isn't played in Australia, but just want to make sure it is not going to be too hard to get there.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Since you are going on a Saturday night, I think you will find the drive ok. Work traffic from Anahem to LA can at times be a night mare but holidays and week-ends are a better. You will find some traffic the closer you get to LA - so do give yourself some leeway to get to the Staples Center. There are parking areas around Staples Center and I;d just park there. It will be much easier than trying to take public transportation which would be difficult to do. During the game time, the area will be fine to visit. Downtown LA is going through a transition and some of the areas can be nice - however there is also the rougher part of LA. As such, after the game, I'd suggest returning to Anaheim.

(Note: You may want to consider doing a longer day and perhaps seeing Hollywood and going to the hockey game at night. both woudl be doable in a day.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Thanks mini, that sound great. I will move our day at Universal Studios to the Saturday of the Kings game and get 'front of line' passes (I guess the lines would be long on a weekend). That will save having to drive into LA twice. My boys are very excited about the hockey! Thanks again.

Chapel Hill, NC
Level Contributor
261 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

I know it's totally off topic - but as a big hockey fan in the US, it's great to see someone from Australia take an interest. Hockey is a fabulous game to watch. In years past, LA would have been a far harder (and better) ticket to get. I guess that's changed now that Anaheim has the Stanley Cup, but the Staples Center will be a great place to see the game for the first time.

Enjoy the trip!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,942 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Sounds like a super fun day.

One suggestion about Universal. When you get there go immediately to the tram tour area (don't stop for anything else.....there are a couple off attractions that may try to get your attention when you first enter the park) and take the tour first. We got there just after the park opened with front of the line passes - and got on the tram immediately. After that go to Water World (if you are in time for the first show.). You can then enjoy the park until its time to depart for the hockey game.

Enjoy the hockey game - always fun - and this sounds like a super fun day!

Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Hey Caz,

not long now..... hows the planning going.Too bad about the Ducks not playing while your there LA kings just as good and the venue is better.

Brett

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

We have been annual passholders in the past for Universal. In Sept or Oct, there will be very small crowds. I wouldn't recommend the expense of the front of the line pass. I would recommend heading down to the lower lot first for Jurassic Park and the Mummy ride. After you've finished in the lower lot head back to the upper lot for the studio tour and shows. Don't miss the Shrek show, your kids will love it!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

One word of advice about Staples Center, parking is pretty expensive. The closer you get to the center, the more expensive: the closest lots are run by Staples & the LA Convention Center, most of theirs run $15-20. You will probably want to use one of these, they're easier to find (big signs) and "safer" (closer to where you're going, in well-trafficed areas, etc).

There are plenty of safe, less expensive lots, but for someone who doesn't drive in Downtown LA on a regular basis, it can be difficult to give directions. I don't mean to be overly cautious sounding, you should be fine, but for people who haven't been there before, some of the areas around Staples Center can be a little intimidating. Just use the same rules you'd use in any city and you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh, and alcohol is also incredibly expensive (beers are typically $8.50-$15, depending on the size and type of beer you get).... there are Bank of America ATMs on the bottom and tops levels (there isn't one on either of the Premier levels) and outside the Chick Hearn entrance )near the Gretsky statue). Also, if you don't eat somewhere else and want a different place to eat than grabbing a hot dog and your seat, there's an outdoor stand on the upper level called CityView Grill. It has a balcony that overlooks Chick Hearn Court & Figeroa St. Last season it was mostly just a view of contruction (they're planning a major shopping/entertainment complex), but the view should be a little more interesting this season.

If you plan to do that, you might want to get there right when doors open (typically 1 hour before game time) to get upstairs, have a bite, and then get back to your seats in time to catch some of the pre-game practice....if you don't have lower level tickets, you can usually walk down there during pre-game practice to watch, a lot of people will crowd down by the glass. You can then just head back upstairs once practice ends (obviously if someone shows up for the seats you're in during practice, you'll need to move).

Have fun, and GO Kings Go!! :) (I know I'm from Anaheim, but I grew up with the Kings).

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

One thing about Staples Center. If you go there during the warm up, the attendants will allow you to go up to the glass, take pictures, etc. After the pre-game warm ups are done, they will ask you to leave the area if you do not hold tickets to the section. If you want to see the players close up, be sure to go early and check out the action.

Also, I suggest you avoid using the 5 North Freeway on the way to Staples Center from Anaheim past the 91 freeway. I suggest you take

5 North

91 West

110 North

Which will lead you to downtown LA. This way, you can take carpool on all 3 freeways, and avoid the hassle of going down the 5 when it goes from 6 to 3 lanes in a matter of miles.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

Thanks everyone for those fantasic tips!

Hey Brett, planning going well - every time I think I'm finished, I come across some more interesting info. I'm constantly tweeking the itinerary!

By the way, does anyone know when the Kings tickets will go on sale?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
342 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ducks not available, what about Kings?

The date of opening for single ticket sales seem to vary every year - usually about a month before pre-season starts, so you should see tickets going on sale sometime in August. I haven't seen any exact dates given yet in any of the team update emails.