We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong...
11 posts
Save Topic
Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

Does anyone know of any equestrian events near LA or Anaheim? We will be there from 2 March 08 for 9 nights and would love to see a horse show or rodeo. Our children have show ponies here in Australia and we would love to see how horses are show in the US while we are there.

Any information would be really helpful, thank you in advance.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

The first horse show that comes to mind is the Hollywood Charity Horse Show, an annual benefit that was started by William Shatner (Captain Kirk of Star Trek), who is an equestrian himself. It takes place in spring, but was in April last year, so I think you will miss it if it is scheduled for the same month all the time. Here is the website. The first page takes you to another page and automatically opens to a video of Bill Shatner speaking about the event.

http://www.horseshow.org/

You might want to do some Google searches because benefit rodeos are kind of popular and you might find one in So. Cal during you visit.

Other than that, I have some suggestions.

1. You might want to take the family to see Medievil Times Dinner and Tournament Dinner Theater in Bueana Park, the neighboring city to Anaheim. Knights joust on horseback while guests eat a good dinner and cheer. I believe there is also a certain time that you may go in a view the horses in the stable.

2. Knott's Berry Farm has a stagecoach ride. It's very enjoyable to sit on the outside of the ride, up front with the driver. Drivers also care for the horses so can answer questions. You may be disappointed, however, to see a large rollercoaster right over the stagecoach entrance. I am a fan of Knott's, but did not like this addition not only because of the interruption of "theming", but also because I don't think it is right for the horses.

3. Disneyland has their Horse Drawn Trolley that goes up Main Street to the Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Each horse even has it's name in the trolley when assigned to pull it. Drivers also care for the horses and can answer questions about how they are trained, cared for, and how much they work each day. Occasionally, Big Thunder Ranch is open for guests. Horses were kept there, but I'm not sure if they still are.

4. I think there is a possibility that you can go horse back riding in Griffith Park in LA. Ask someone in the Los Angeles forum.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

You can check http://www.pchorseshows.org/ for information closer to the date - the still have last years calendar on their site.

Also many of the fairgrounds have rodeos or horses shows throughout the year. Try Orange County Fairgrounds or LA Fairgrounds.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

The LA county fairgrounds is called Fairplex Park, and they should have a website. (Sorry I'm late right now or I'd look it up for you) I know they used to have an Appaloosa show in March there, but that's been a few years ago now, lol. Also there are dozens and dozens of horse clubs, start with Equestrian Trails, Inc. and see if they have listings.

I'll look up some others for you tonight when I have some time! Oh, also there may be some 4-H horse shows going on, sort of like your Pony Club.

Wollongong...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

Thank you for all of your responses, we are love what we do with our horses and just thought we may me able to take the opportunity to see how another country goes about their competitions.

We will certainly be going to the Medieval Times Dinner, but we would most love to see the general public compete with their horses. Thanks again.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,596 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

I don't know if this would be of interest to you, but something in another post made me realize that the Santa Anita Racetrack's winter meet will be going on while you are here. Santa Anita is in Arcadia, near Pasadena, and is a very historic place. Movie stars used to go there (some probably still do) and during WW II, it was an internment camp. I haven't been there in a while, but I have heard they have tried to modernize what is offered there with things such as rock bands in the in-field between races - although the historic elements of the venue have been kept. Great art-deco type designs on the front of the building. Anyway, you can view the horses in their stables and the paddock in between races. If you have never been to see horse races, it's a great way to spend the day. I would recommend getting into the club house section, rather than the grandstands, though. I used to enjoy standing near the railing as the race was going off. Hearing the breathing of the horses and the pounding of hoofs is fantastic!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

Hi again ~ Have been perusing the web, and found this:

www.at-la.com/@la-horse.htm#rodeo

This is a big ol' long site, so scroll on down to rodeos, gymkhanas, etc and see what you can find. Look under organizations as well, as they often list their upcoming shows. (Under the LA Equestrian Center, I found three shows in March, for example)

You may want to compose an e-mail message explaining that you are visiting from Australia and you'd love to see a horse show between such-and-such dates, and just send it out to lots of these organizations.

Also, these are not really "horse shows" in the sense of competitions, but the Sunday Arabian shows will be going on at Cal Poly Pomona University:

www.csupomona.edu/~agri/news/horseshows.shtml

As the time gets nearer, this may help you: www.horsetrader.com

Click on shows and events.

One more -- if you could catch a reining horse show, they are incredible fun, although not really representative of "everyday So Cal horse shows":

www.calreining.com/index2.html

Have fun, and hope you can find at least one show to attend! Now if you were coming to Oregon, I could loan you a horse to compete on, lol!

Wollongong...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

Now that would be very interesting half-brit, we may try that on the next visit LOL........thanks for you help, hopefully we can catch one of these would be fun to compare the difference.

8. Re: Horse Events near LA or Anaheim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 23:17