We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

farmers market warning

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
farmers market warning

If any of you like markets and shopping, farmers market is a good place for browsing. But however do not park in the k mart car park across the road and walk across. The security guards will note your time of parking and crossing the road, and then will notify the towing company and have your car towed. The are rude, ruthless and very heartless. We have experienced first hand this action even tho we did shop at k mart and showed them the bags and reciepts. We did cross the road first and thats all they would consider. Cost a $13 taxi fare, and $185 to get the car back. We were gone a total of 1 1/2 hours, the car was towed within 3/4 hr of us getting there.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: farmers market warning

There's nothing heartless about it.

You're stealing the use of the parking space from K-Mart. I'm sure there are plenty of signs telling you that you'd be towed if you used their property for that unauthorized purpose.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: farmers market warning

So to avoid this you should first go into Kmart, wander around and then go to the Farmer's Market?

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: farmers market warning

Kudos to Kmart for properly and rightly taking care of this city-wide problem. Signs are clearly posted there.

Sorry, but it's obviously an expensive lesson learned.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: farmers market warning

I didn't know there was a K-Mart closeby. Thanks for sharing. I wish someone had shared this information with you before your trip.

Parking issues must be a problem with this particular K-Mart not only because of Farmers' Market and The Grove and their high parking rates, but also because CBS Television City is in the same big block. CBS tells visitors to use The Grove's multilevel parking lot, which has a great deal of parking, but since many people are not going to be willing to pay for parking K-Mart must have been experiencing problems with this for a long time and thus the strict policies in order to look after their customers.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: farmers market warning

Ummmmmm, RedlandsRedhead, the poster is talking about Anaheim's Farmer's Market....note the forum.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: farmers market warning

Ohhh! Well, hey, the historic Farmers' Market in LA is the ultimate so I just assumed. Sorry!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: farmers market warning

anyway.......where we come from the guards would have warned us, but when you drive in a strange city with a strange car and you have probably been to many car parks i'm sorry but the signs most of the time you dont read or notice.

Well walking thru k mart first wont work either. Many people were parking there and walking across the road, so the guards there must be having a field day. Our intentions were to spend only 30 mins at the market and also shop in k mart.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: farmers market warning

Does anyone know exactly where visitors to Anaheim's Farmers' Market are suppossed to park? If that information can be shared here it will be helpful to other visitors.

After reading this I looked around the Internet for information about this Farmers' Market and found nothing saying where to park. Maybe it is on the Anaheim Insider Pages here on TA?

I see that the Farmers' Market is only on Thursdays for a few hours during the day. While I can understand that a store, especially during the holiday season, may want to have all spaces available for its customers during operating hours, if K-Mart is very close to the Farmers' Market it seems that the city (or the growers association, whatever) could work something out with K-Mart for the benefit of all concerned.

For example, in Redlands during the Summer Music Festival, the Mall Association not only allows parking in the mall parking lots but keeps the underground lot open later for concert goers. They also allow parking on the Thursday evenning Market Nights.

I don't think I have ever seen a K-Mart that lacks for parking spaces, so a little community involvement and cooperation couldn't really hurt them and could leave visitors with a better feeling of the city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: farmers market warning

Adding to BikerChic's defence, in Australia I have never seen or heard of anyone being towed from a shopping centre or similar car park. I don't even think I've seen a sign warning of this. If my memory serves me right, in many Australian states towing from a carpark is generally illegal.

Thanks for the warning!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: farmers market warning

this was a warning to visitors who may not read all signs as they are occuoied with driving on opposite side of the road finding there way around etc so it would be nice to be given a bit of averbal warning if noticed or a ticket on the window as a warning not towed within approx 1/2 hour of parking we spent most of the tome in Kmart and we were looking for a Kmart to buy discs to dwnload our photos so when we seen the car park and noticed Farmers Market was just across the road we went to the market 1st not thinking that security was watching our every move so this is a warning to other visitors be carfeul where you park