We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

San Diego
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

I'm driving my 16 year old and friends up on Thursday, and I'd rather not sit in D'land reading while they play. So, where can I go? I like antique shopping. I was thinking of backtracking to the Bower Museum, but it's a bit farther afield than I want to go. What about the Farmers Market--any good? I'd also be happy visiting bookstores or interesting libraries, but not malls. I know, I'm just odd that way:) I love parks and gardens, too, and if the weather stays like this, that would be a good option. I've been to the Fullerton Arboretum already.

Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to stay within 15-20 minutes of D'land, just in case.

Thanks in advance,

Mary

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,350 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

The Bowers Museum should be 15-20 minutes from Disneyland, it is only about five miles away. The Orange Circle is another place to visit and relax, shop for antiques, have a nice lunch at Felix.

If you belong to 24 Hour Fitness there is a nice club near Disneyland.

You could also hang out for a bit in the lobby of the Grand Californian and read.... grab a nice chardonnay from the lobby bar and sit by the fireplace...

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

You could visit the Huntington Beach Library, which has a beautiful two story water feature in the middle of it as well as a theater. There is a large park behind the library. When I attended a meeting there, an art exhibit was also featured. It is pretty close to Beach Blvd., so traveling north will take you to the Knott’s Marketplace where you can have a lunch or dinner at Mrs. Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant on your way back to Disneyland. Be aware there may be an hour wait to get in for dinner. Visit the Farm Bakery afterwards for something sweet to take home.

http://www.hbpl.org/

Or, how about the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda, just east of Anaheim.

I'm not sure about the time it takes to get to either of these, but you could find that out by going to Google Maps. I do know that on a weekday around 5 p.m. Beach Blvd. is usually packed going north. So you would want to leave the library before that.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

www.nixonlibraryfoundation.org/index.php…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

There are a bunch of small antique stores in Old Towne Orange, which is about ten minutes from Disneyland. Just take Harbor (which runs right in front of DL)south until you hit Chapman Ave. Make a left onto Chapman. Stay on Chapman until you hit a roundabout, this is Old Towne. The stores are right there on Glassell. Parking is free on the streets or behind the buildings. There are also several places to eat there. If you need to mapquest it, I would suggest using Chapman University's address, the roundabout is about two blocks south of ChapmanU.

One University Drive

Orange, CA 92866

Also the Nixon lib. is a great place as well.

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

What about renting a room for the day (or rent for the night of the visit and leave in the evening). Sometimes business hotels have day rates. This way you could use the pool and facilities and have a base from which to take a shuttle.

What about spending part of the day at Downtown Disney - the AMC movie theatres likely have matinees.

San Diego
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

Great suggestions, everyone!

I'll be heading to Orange to check out the antique stores, and Bookman, the used bookstore. That could easily take up 12 hours for me! And I liked Scott's lunch suggestion, too.

HB and the Nixon Library are just a bit too far. And that's not to say they're not great destinations--I lived in HB briefly right after the new library opened, and visited the Nixon Library last year:)

The hotel suggestion was a good one, but my husband's in the business, and he couldn't get us a decent rate up there. Spring break week is busy (which is another reason I don't want to be sitting in Disneyland--I'm not fond of crowds!)

24 Hour Fitness was a good suggestion, too, but I gave up exercise for Lent. :)

Thanks, all!

Mary

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,520 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

"24 Hour Fitness was a good suggestion, too, but I gave up exercise for Lent. :)"

Ha, ha, ha. That was funny! Lent's almost over, though. Now what excuse do you have! :)

I didn't know about the antique stores. That was a good idea.

8. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2008, 09:18
San Diego
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

Redhead, I haven't thought up the next excuse yet. I fear I may have to use that gym membership finally!

And Chuck, thanks for the novel idea. It would have never occurred to me to spend the day with my daughter! Geez, she's been around 16 years, and I always wondered what I was supposed to do with her. All this time I've just kept her locked in her room. Well, other than those days we spent at the Wild Animal Park, the Zoo, the multiple visits to Disneyland, and New York, and London, and Paris, and San Francisco, and just going to the beach, and hanging out with our neighbors and family, and working at her school, and volunteering in her classes...no sir, the rest of that time, she was in her room!

Seriously, she and her friends could get into just as much trouble at school as they could at Disneyland. No, I take it back--they could probably buy drugs easier at high school than at Disneyland. There's a point where you have to have faith that your kid will make the right decisions. So far she's survived a few afternoons on her own in New York, and has taken the train solo to San Diego. This summer she'll be off to Belgium or Germany as the only American at a two week camp. She's a pretty level-headed kid, but if she shows up on a Girls Gone Wild video, I'll be back here with a maximum mea culpa.

Mary

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Can I Do for A Day While the Kids are at D'land?

At that age I was driving to an amusement park by myself and working there. They'll be fine.