We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Hi, travelling in Sept for 3 weeks, I am thinking of getting travellers cheques in USD from the post office (no commision) has any one used these lately?

Just asking as it seems every man and his dog want you get these cashcard things where you are charged when u make a withdrawal and I dont want to have to say withdraw $500 every time to save on fees.

Any thoughts, just trying to save a few bucks if possible

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Hi, we will be travelling the US in September for 4 weeks, so am planning the money side now. I have found that ATM's are really handy, just using a normal ATM card, especially as my pay will be going into my account while I am travelling. There are fee's, but ATM's really are convenient. I used Travellers Checks 10 years ago when I first went to the US, & found them really handy as I could use them like money at Hotels & bigger retailers, & get change easily. I'm not sure what it is like now, but there was a recent thread discussing this:

tripadvisor.com/…12041116

We will probably use a combination of both plus credit cards.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

I have used the post office to get money changed into US dollars- can definately recommend that, as they have zero commission (even though their rate wasnt as good as some other banks it still worked out in my favour).

I dont use travellers cheques though- I know its the safest option, but I just hate bringing my passport out every time I change them over to cash. I get more paranoid about losing that than the cash!

Have fun bigmumma60!

PP

Melbourne
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Hi Bigmumma,We have been twice and are going again in December, and each time we have used the Cash Passport cards.I found them to be handy as you can use them at any ATM (they are everywhere), you can use your own PIN so you never forget it, and you get a spare in case you lose one. However ,they do charge you $2.50 every time you use it ,so you do tend to withdraw large amounts at a time.Also you load them using Bpay ,so you can get someone at home to add money if you run out.I have never used travellers cheques so I dont know about them, are they difficult to cash? Whatever you decide to use ,make sure you take a small amount of notes with you as you will need it for tips.

Aus
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

I hear the Wizard Clear Advantage Mastercard is good because there are no transaction fees charged, unlike most cards.

I have read how people put cash onto it. So say your limit is $1000, if you put $1000 on it, you essentially have $2000 - $1000 of your money, and $1000 of the banks. Because of the no fees, you can withdraw your $1000 as cash at the ATM (well maybe a bit less with the exchange rate of course). Just don't withdraw into your credit limit because then you are paying for a cash advance, and that's when you get hit with interest and fees!

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Thanks guys,

I think I will go with the cash passport card and just take some notes with me

What airlines are you all going on.

We are doing Air New Zealand

Melbourne
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

We flew Air New Zealand both times we have been ,but when I booked this time all the return flights were booked out, so we are having to go qantas. My daughter threw a tantrum when she found out that we had to fly direct and not have our usual stopover in Aukland. And quantas have just put their fares up and its going to cost extra. Not happy.

sydney
Level Contributor
762 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Yes, qantas was a lot more pricey for the 3 of us, thats why I decided Air NZ. The stopover will be ok I am sure, I am travelling with my 7 & 10year old.

It worked out well as we are meeting my best friend who is flying from Brisbane and we all meet at Auckland I actually paid today in full as the travel agent let me know that Air NZ will be putting the fares up as of tomorrow because of the fuel prices, so I thought what is there to stop them doing it again before September, now I dont have to pay anymore than the original quote. I believe Qantas has put their fares twice already, so try and pay as soon as you can.

Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

I last travelled there in 2004 but going in December this year again & will be taking them & I work for a place that has those cash card things! Bought in US dollars, you just hand them over as money(make sure you have passport with you). In hotels you can cash the larger ones ie $100 or if in dept store & buying a fair bit but make sure you also have $50's. Think of them as money, where a shop has a prob with a $100 note. Also if travelling with partner, split them because 1st time my husband got them in his name & if I needed money & he was on golf course BIG problem. Another suggestion, is a debit Visa card at a credit union. 99% dont charge international charges on purchases, just on ATM transactions

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
314 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

Hi guys,

Just happened to browse this message and couldn't help noticing that all you Ozzies are travelling on Air NZ because it's cheaper (mainly), yet us Kiwi's have to fly on Qantas to get the best deal this year! Amazing huh! Wouldn't you think our national carriers would look after their own>>> apparently not.

Anyway, we're off in September for 4 weeks - can't wait, especially after having to cancel our trip to Vietnam due to our daughter's illness (should be in 30 degree heat not freezing our butts off here now!)...

I'm looking at purchasing some USD travellers cheques now as the rate is dropping like a stone and I already have a pile of cash. The only disadvantage to using the credit card is that the rate will be lower no doubt when we need to use in in September.

Cheers and have a great holiday everyone...

nzers

downunder

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for any Aussies that have been to US lately

We're flying Air NZ too. Been a couple of years since I flew them, but the food & service were better than the other cross Pacific airlines. Plus they have good package deals.....