We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim to LAX Traffic

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Anaheim to LAX Traffic

After our stay in Anaheim we will be dropping our rental car off at LAX to catch our flight out in the afternoon. My question is: What is the easiest route to LAX from Anaheim, probably leaving the hotel around 8-8:30am and on a week day. I realise that this will probably be at peak traffic time and would be a lot different than what am used to.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

Yep, that's an awful time to leave if it's on a weekday.

But, you will be able to use the carpool lane, which is a great help.

Take I-5 north, to CA SR 91 west, to I-110 north to I-105 west to LAX. Avoid I-605 and I-710, unless you like huge amounts of gigantic trucks.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

Thanks for your suggestion on the route and will rethink our timing with an earlier start.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

What time do you have to check in? Starting later might be a better idea.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

I don't know what the traffic is like on the I-5, so I don't know if this will help but to get to and from the 91 I always just take Harbor Blvd. north and follow the signs to enter the 91. It's not that far and Harbor always seems easy to drive, but I don't do weekdays so I'm not totally sure. I've even been able to speed a little on Harbor. :)

Orange County
Level Contributor
98 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

It doesn't take much to jam up the I-5, just one small incident like someone changing a tire. Also, there has been some long standing construction work along the I-5. Another alternative is taking the southern route, as I do on a weekly basis from Anaheim. Hook up with the SR22 west until it runs into the I405 north and stay in the carpool lane right up to the airport. In any event, tune in on one of the AM radio stations (e.g., 980 or 1070) before you hit the road to catch the morning traffic reports (about every five minutes).

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

KelpFighter, one "disadvantage" to using the carpool lane is that the radio traffic reports rarely are much help. Unless the carpool lane is blocked, you never get an idea of whether it's going 25 or 65.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

Considering what I said, I want to make sure that you know the comment about speeding on Harbor Blvd. is a joke. Don't want to encourage anyone because it is much more likely to get caught speeding on surface streets and probably more dangerous. What I really meant was I have been able to basically have a clear road and sometimes end up going a bit over the in town speed limit. Anyway, after reading the above post, I do suggest leaving the hotel a bit early and driving through town north on Harbor to take the 91 west. At least your drive will start off nice. You pass two parks before getting to the 91 Fwy.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

I am not a fan of the 405, whether the regular lanes or the carpool lanes.

This is the route I like, and is the one that most Rental Cars, Hotels, etc. recommend.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2141714

The entire way has carpool lanes, except for the short segment on the 605.

The 105 is one of the newest freeways and usually has less traffic than most other freeways in the area.

9. Re: Anaheim to LAX Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 03:16