We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

My fiancee and I are hoping to go to Disneyland during the week of August 26-31st (wed - monday).

Im just wondering if school is back in at that point in California? I noticed labour day weekend is later this year, September 7, so Im just wondering what the crowds would be like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Carolyn

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Every school district sets it's own calendar. Most go back the week of Labor Day, however, more and more are starting a week or two earlier. I am sorry - but there is no set date that applies to all schools.

Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
715 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Unfortunately, it is too early to check the opening and closing times for that week, it is usually a good indicator of how busy Disneyland expects the crowds to be. The next indicator is the blockout dates for annual pass holders. That weekend, deluxe annual pass holders are not blocked out, but local pass holders are blocked out. Meaning, probably not total summer crowds, but still crowds. Have a friend at work who takes his family to DLR this time of year, says there are crowds, but they are manageable. Just remember, the weekends are always busier than week days. Get there early and use fast passes, you should have a good time.

Enjoy!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Okay, thanks very much both of you :)

Ill have to take all that into consideration I suppose and decide if I want to really risk the crowds!

Carolyn

PS - my other alternative is to go october canadian thanksgiving. I just wasnt sure I wanted to wait that long and prefer the warmer weather.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,624 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Canadian Thanksgiving 2009 falls on the same day as our Columbus Day holiday. That will be a three day holiday for some workers; Sat., Sun. and Monday. But, not all schools will close. It shouldn't be too bad.

Pros and Cons-

It will still be warm in October. It could even be hot, but the nights will be cooler then. It's not usually as hot as late August. Late August brings some of the hottest and even most humid days, with the evenings not cooling off much. The humidity comes if there is a tropical storm in the area of Mexico. October, unfortunately can be dry and windy at times - which is fire weather. Winds can cause the fireworks to be cancelled. If you plan to travel around by car it's good to be aware that wildfires can cause freeway closures. But, being optomistic, I don't think you will have these problems and you will enjoy the October weather better than the late August weather.

Ride closures for refurbishment are scheduled off peak season, so after Labor Day there is more of a chance of ride closures. However, during October DLR celebrates Halloweentime and the Haunted Mansion will be running as the Haunted Holiday Mansion with the Nightmare Before Christmas theme. So that is a new and different experience if you have not done it yet. The park will be decorated with lots of pumpkins, so quite the celebration of fall. There are also pumpkin farms and apple picking in various parts of So. Cal. So you can celebrate harvest time here, if you wish.

In the past couple of years, at least, during that last week of August, DLR has been cutting park operating hours. This indicates crowds are less at this time. Some schools do have tracks that go back in session in late August. But a lot of locals will still go to DLR then. As mentioned, attendance falls off, but not much.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

Actually, Columbus Day is one of the busier weeks at Disneyland. I think Disney just doesn't plan for the combination of Canadian Thanksgiving, and Columbus Day, which many schools either have the day off as a holiday, or it is used as an "Teachers" day, where the kids get the day off, to allow teachers a day to have seminars. (And to avoid unexcused absences).

6. Re: Are kids back at school the week of the 26th?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 01:19