We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Would it be worth going if, as the website says, most of the rides are scary or loud?

Also, I cant go on anything that spins around too much and the 5 yr old doesnt like really loud noises...

should we just go to Knotts berry farm or something else instead?

thanks!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Universal is mainly a studio tour - it is fun - especially if you've seen the movies or tv shows that have been filmed there (my hadn't). The studio tour tram also experiences some shaking, loud noises, etc... (a disaster with my little one). Most of the rides are for older kids and the shows are really good - but loud. There is kids area - but for the cost of admission - I would skip with with any elementary school kid sunless they are really into movies, stunts, etc...

For that age - Legoland is perfect - but it is closer to San Diego than LA. It is doable in a day though from LA.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

I would like to say that they would probably love the Nickelodeon FunZone at Universal Studios. The Shrek 3D show is a lot of fun. There is also a pretty good animal actors show. My personal opinion though is that Universal Studios isn't really a full day.

Yes, I think they would have a lot of fun at Knotts!

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Legoland is the place for 3 to 9 year olds, indeed! Knotts has the Snoopy area that is perfect for the 5 year old, with a train, mini-rides and pony rides and the petting zoo....but the 8 year old might be bored with all that yet not old enough to stomach the crazier rides available.

australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Thanks for the suggestions

We are staying in Anaheim/Buena park so legoland is a definite!

I had heard good and bad things about Knotts - but we are staying right near it so think we will give it a go.

It's a pain that I cant go on a lot of bigger rides because of balance/inner ear problems, so the more kiddie things the better !

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Legoland and Knotts will definitely please the kiddies. Just beware that Legoland is an hour or two away from Anaheim...its neat, though.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

Hi

If you have been to Movieworld on the Gold Coast, we thought Universal Studios was similar, except less small child friendly. The shows that they put on like the Blues Brothers, Shrek and Waterworld (we were there 5 years ago!) were absolutely brilliant.

My kids were 12 and 11 when we went and they enjoyed it, however, they loved scary rides even then! I don't do scary, loud or too much movement in rides and I spent most of the time holding bags and waiting with a cup of coffee!

Having said that I actually did a lot of the rides in Disneyland...just avoiding the really scary, loud, dark rides.

I agree with previous posters, if your kids are into Lego, at their ages, they will absolutely love Legoland.

Hope some of that helps.

australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

thanks guys!

yes, hubby and kids both LOVE Lego so no problem there

I think I will leave Universal for the more adventurous people and enjoy the more sedate rides elsewhere!

PS Jessielou - which DLand rides did you like?

8. Re: Universal studios worth it for 5 & 8 yr old ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 05:25