We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney with a 5 month old

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Disney with a 5 month old

O.k., yes, I know, I've lost my mind for taking an infant to Disney. First off, let me get all the facts out. :)

We know the baby won't remember a thing and this trip isn't for him at all. My husband is going out for work and my mom and I want to accompany him and just hang out at Disney for a couple days. That sounded better than staying at home to us. :)

Are there any rides/attractions we can take the baby on with us? I know we can child swap, but my mom and I aren't interested in "thrill rides" anymore anyway. We were just thinking of low key things we could do and hold the baby while we did it. Nothing jarring or unsafe for the baby.

I've never been to Disneyland but hubby and I went to Epcot (no baby) last year and it seemed half the stuff we rode you could have done with an infant because they were very "boring" rides, if that makes sense.

Any ideas/tips would be welcome, besides just telling us to stay home and come when he's older. ha.ha. We plan to take him again when he's older but this trip is for my mom and I, not the baby. Thanks guys for your help.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

The rides in Fantasyland would be fine...I've seen mothers holding their babies on those...there are quite a few in fantasyland like peter pan, alice & wonderland, snow white, storybook, dumbo, merry go round....etc. Of course they are slow, but enjoyable. Also Small world and the train that circles the park would be fine.

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

Thanks Shannon Nicole! I'll write down all your suggestions to take with us! I'll let you know how it goes. We're not going until Sept. I just wanted to start my research early, so if anyone else has tips/suggestions, feel free to send them my way. Thanks again!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

sure no problem. a complete list of rides that should be okay for a baby would be:

Alice in Wonderland

Casey Jr. Circus Train

Dumbo the Flying Elephant

It's a Small World

King Arthur's Carousel

Mad Tea Party (if you don't spin it or do so lightly)

Peter Pan's Flight

Pinocchio's Daring Journey

Snow White's Scary Adventure

Storybook Canal Boats

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Jungle Cruise

Disneyland Railroad

ride descriptions here:

kingdommagictravel.com/disneyland/theme_park…

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

Hi,

I don't think you're crazy to go with your mum & bub. It'll be a lovely trip and there'll be plenty to see and do. The above list od rides looks pretty good to me. Disney is totally set up for kids & babies - so why not to go & enjoy yourselves!

The link below is for a web page that is specifically about visiting Disney with babies & toddlers. I went with a toddler & found some good info on the site (where baby change areas are & stuff like that):

http://babesindisneyland.googlepages.com/

I also got a book called the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland and what I really liked was each ride is described & graded so you can get a hold of that book or have a flick through it in a store you can see what rides are thrillers & which ones are sedate.

I am pretty sure that I read that the rented Disney strollers are not so great for babies as they don't fully recline so you might want to check into that and maybe take your own one. Having said that a big plus on the Disney rental strollers is that is it gets stolen or misplaced you can just go get another to use that day, you are not liable for the stolen rental stroller. I think often what happens is that the rental strollers get mixed up & moved about when people are away on rides and they are not necessarily stolen but people might take the wrong one. One tip from a mum in the Unofficial Guide was to hang a bag on the back of her stroller with a sign saying Dirty Diapers. We used our own stroller & did the Dirty Diaper sign & used it as our rubbish bag throughout the day & never had any touch our stroller LOL. A smaller reclining stroller is probably the way to go, rather than a huge pram which can be tricky for shuttle buses.

Hope that help feel free to ask any questions. Have a great time at Disney

cheers

Dee

Washington State
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

I just thought I would pop in here. We went to Disneyland several years ago with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. We had a great time. We took the baby on the above mentioned rides in Fantasy Land, the Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, the train, etc. Anything that was slow and peaceful.

People gave us a hard time about taking our children when they were so young. THEY may not remember the tip, but I do. We had a great time and I have some great memories and pictures of my girls. Have a wonderful trip.

CO
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

We did Disney when our youngest was 5 months old.

Simply stated, anything without a height restriction is ok for a baby.

I strongly recommend a quality baby carrier like an Ergo for line waiting (unlike a Baby Bjorn, for example, your back won't hurt with the Ergo!). You can keep the baby in the carrier while you ride many of the attractions - not all but most. My little guy spent 90% of his day snuggled up in the Ergo, including naps. It was a great trip.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

We've even taken mine at that age on Haunted Mansion and Pirates as well. They fell asleep on Pirates almost immediately - the dark, cool air, low sound of crickets... There are two drops though - so hold the baby while riding.

Alberta
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

We are grandparents and taking our 2 adult children along with their family.

There kids will be one four year old, and a set of triplettes who will be 1 1/2.

Everyone indicated that we were crazy as well. This trip isn't for the little ones who won't remember, but for the rest of us who will tell them about how happy we were to have them with us and the great time to be had!

I think it may be a bit crazy, but it would also be crazy if we stayed home. Have you picked a hotel yet. We are looking at a suite hotel. It seems everyone charges extra for cribs x 3.

I'll keeping watching your site.

Level Contributor
505 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

I am also taking my two grown daughters, and two grandchildren (ages 1 and 3) to Disneyland. We've been told the same thing...that we should wait. However, why wait? Later on we can build more memories when they're alittle older. Have a great time. There's plenty to do and enjoy.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney with a 5 month old

We had a great time when my son was 6 months old. He hated It's A Small World (cried all through it) and loved Pirates (laughed both times we rode)!

There is a baby center just off Main Street to feed and change the kiddo. Very quiet place. There also is one at Calif Adv park, but I have not been there.

Bring your own stroller and a front pack as well.

Make sure you do the walk through of the castle. This had been closed for a long time and just reopened.

Ride the Mark Twain paddle boat, take the train around the park, ride the monorail.

Make sure he is not afraid of the characters, they can be scary to little kids.

Visit Mickey and Minnie's houses in Toontown

In California Adv park there is an entire area with little kid rides.

Have lunch at Blue Bayou Restaurant inside Pirates of the Car. ride!

You may not want to dine at Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney, very noisy and scary for some kids. We heard as much crying last visit as we did laughing!

If you will have a car, consider heading to the beach. Huntington is great and on the pier is a fun kite shop. Plenty of shopping and dining in the area.

Finally take LOTS of pictures!