We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

Has anybody been studying the rate?

Have a crystal ball?

Will the dollar get much stronger?

I know lots of us aussie's going to america in the next 6 months thanks to the cheap fares.

I started to watch the rate about 2 months ago when it was 71 cents it got to 73 and they said that was the highest its been for 6 months.

If it gets to 80cents I was going to buy,

I dont think it will get anywhere near 90cents by Oct do you?

Thanks

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
142 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

You can keep an eye on the exchange rates through www.xe.com

It gives the latest rate info. and also provides a chart trend of the price fluctuations so as you can watch and track the best possible option available for conversion

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

thankyou.

Yes thats what I am after something that will forecast rates.

I know in these times its hard what to predict

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

I would be more inclined to keep checking the rate on your banks website (if that's who you are buying money through). It is usually a few cents less than what is on xe.com because that is not the rate the general public get.

I am getting the Travelex cash passport and now they are showing a rate of just under 74c.

Good luck!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

I also just found this site http://forecasts.org/ausd.htm it looks like it will get up higher, thank goodness!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

Oh wow gee I hope the prediction is right.

OMG Id be so happy with around the 89 mark.

I watch the news every morning to see how the dollar is and yeah the bank is a few cents less than what the TV comsec say..

I will wait then

I feel a bit more happier now LOL

Thanks STEPH 1986

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

Today it got to 76c. yay. I budgeted for between 65c at minimum and 75c at maximum, so I am doing summersaults.

I have already bought $200us, at around 73c and right across the road was offering 75c, but for $200 not a big difference. I think that travelex is usually lower than banks, but they dont charge a fee, so its a toss up. my bank usually has some US dollars on hand so when the rate is good I will buy some more.

I think you work out what is a good rate and then buy some when it gets there or exceeds it. you may very well do better later on, but who can tell, so just agree with yourself on a rate and be happy if you get or exceed that rate. But i think 90c is aiming a bit high, the US is slowly recovering as well as us, so the rates will not necessarily get better.

are you close to a city? I got my rate at a local hole in the wall at Wynyard station and it was Flight Centre across the road that offered the better rate. If you have a big Flight Centre nearby, compare that to what you get net at your bank and also the rate at Travelex.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

hi springmum

Yes its growing LOL

Yes I will go jump on a train and head for the city or just drive to liverpool.

Im still unsure as to apart from some cash,,what to do,, go with travellers cheques,the ANZ card,the one from the postoffice offers.

Im still researching that one..

My daughter cant wait to get some cash to play with LOL

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

I went to bali a few weeks ago, and because I couldnt really use the Anz or travelex card ( too high fees when you are withdrawing funds in other currency than what is on the card) I used my own card and that costs big time too.

I think looking at the Anz card that I may just use that, in preference to the travelex one.

as for travellers cheques, they can be useful, but they usually are given out at a worse rate than cash, and are best used to pay a bill somewhere and get the change. if changed in a bank you may get charged a fee. this doesnt usually happen at a retail outlet. I used them five years ago in US and Canada.

cash is good if you can control when you buy it, but of course it can get lost. I think i am taking quite a bit in cash and also an ANZ card which i will get at an opportune time. And then have my ordinary card stashed away safely in case I need to get more cash out as an emergency. I do like to have more than one way to access cash in case you lose something or get stuck with unexpected expenses.

btw if i sound like I travel lots, I really dont, but have just started trying to see the world having raised my children. My husband comes along sometimes, but I also go along with single friends and this time with my granson. having kids to go to Disney land with is excellent.

9. Re: Any advice as to when to buy my US dollars ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 05:33