We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dole Whip

Rosedale, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dole Whip

I love the Dole Whip that you can get at Disneyland. I've also had them in Hawaii at the Dole Plantation. We went to Disneyland yesterday and I was amazed to see that my Dole Whip was completely hollow inside. I'd told my family members who were visiting how great it was and was embarassed when they remarked how they got ripped off.

As much as I love the Dole Whips I have projmised myselkf to not ever get one again. Instead I think I'll be making my own at home...there are pineapple whip recipes that are available for free online and they are probably just as good (and not hollow!).

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dole Whip

Huh? Explain, someone, please. A hollow Dole Whip?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5,891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dole Whip

Sounds like they changed the recipe (or the heat of this past week-end made them not work well.).

We like them too at Disneyland....so perhaps it was just weather related.

Best in making a good one.....as they are deliscious when done right. Hope the rest of your day at Disneyland was fantastic.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dole Whip

We were at Disneyland in May and our Dole Whip was hollow inside as well so the theory of it possibly being the weather in the past week isn't right.

I was happy with mine as I knew no different, but now I know there should have been more, I want a refund or a free one! :)

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dole Whip

Fyi, I found a U tube that shows you step by step how to make your own dole whip, using powder ordered from Hawaii and an icecream maker. I just googled Dole whip. I want to know what is the big deal with this product. I should have tried it in hawaii when i was at the dole plantation.

am trying it at Disney, later this year, shame my grandson, travel companion cant stand pineapple.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
550 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dole Whip

That kinda sucks.

I'll still have to get one when I'm there though... they're so good! Or I can get a float instead I guess.

Rosedale, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dole Whip

Well, their "technique" is to start "downloading" the stuff in a circle around the perimeter of the cup, then it is finished off with the peak on top. You can't notice anything until you start eating it and then, when you look inside, you can see it is hollow in the middle.

Maybe if anyone wants to get one in the future, they could order one and say,"Make mine without a hollow middle", or something like that.

I see that someone thought the pineapple float might not get the same treatment, but one person in my party ordered that and it was the same thing...a hollow middle.

I just love them so much that I would like to have more...:)I read somewhere that Disneyland doesn't take complaints(can anyone verify this?)so I wanted to let everyone know what you'll get and not be surprised. I can tell you that they haven't always done it this way. This must be a fairly new (past several years) thing.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dole Whip

Sure they still take complaints. Send your concerns to:

DISNEYLAND

Guest Communications

P.O. Box 3232

Anaheim, CA 92803-6161

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,516 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dole Whip

Um, it is not hollow and a rip-off! It is, indeed, a serving technique. Part of the technique is to build it high. Yes, in the middle there is soemthing like a hole - a hole that gets filled when you smash down the rather large amount of whip that is built up. It is more than enough for one person to eat. I have no complaints. It's a great value for under $3.

I never noticed it being served any other way. I think when I had the Dole Whip in Hawaii, it might have been served differently because I can't remember having such a tall one there. Perhaps the way Disneyland serves it keeps it cold and solid longer. I remember the first one I had in Hawaii melted pretty fast, although it was great!

The Dole Planation is not the only place on Oahu that you can get a Dole Whip. They are served in downtown Honolulu. My first one was at a stand near the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. They are also served in the Honolulu airport. My last one in Hawaii was while I was waiting for my flight back to LA.

Everytime I have a Dole Whip in Disneyland it is like revisiting the islands. Love it!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dole Whip

Dole Whips in Disneyland well that's now on my list of things to buy..lol. I had my first Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation in Hawaii and it was so refreshing and yummy.

My mouth is watering just thinking of a nice yummy Dole Whip.

Annette

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dole Whip

Do you know what is in it?

"Though a Dole Whip has the taste and consistency of soft-serve ice cream, the dessert actually gets its texture from ordinary food thickeners. The only dairy content is a small amount of the milk derivative sodium caseinate.[2]."

Sugar, Dextrose, Pineapple Juice Concentrate, Coconut Oil*, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking), Corn Syrup Solids, Citric Acid, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Artificial Flavor, Potassium & Sodium Phosphate, Mono & Diglycerides, Artificial Color (Yellow 5 & 6), Soy Lecithin.

*Adds a trivial amount of fat.

No thank you.