We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

Hi, we will be staying in Anaheim in November and are planning to go to Universal studios for the vIP tour. That means we MUST be at Universal by 9.30am in the morning.

What is the best way to get to Universal in time for this tour, as all the shuttle buses (Grey Line) leave too late - has anyone else done this and who can you recommend and what are the prices?

Thank you! :)

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

Your best bet to get there on time is to rent a car and leave pretty early in the morning. Peak drive time ends around 9 a.m., so leaving at 7 - 7:30 would be good. You may need to hire the car for two days so that you can be sure that you can leave that early or so that the rep doesn't put you behind. Check Hotwire or Kayak for low rates, because the non-discounted rates are high right now.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

redlands knows the drill, so listen to her suggestions. however, if you really dont want to drive, because of wrong side of the road, there is another suggestion i have. get the train. look up travel anaheim to universal, thread or the amtrack site.

the train goes from anaheim, to union station, ( a tourist site in itself) then you catch the red line to a station, and a free shuttle takes you up the hill to universal. if we dont have free transport , that is what i intend to do, and on the way home i am stopping off to see the hollywood walk of fame, as universal closes early around 5 or 6, and the train keeps going back to anaheim until late at night. you can get a taqxi to the station or the regular public transport bus, either is only a five to ten minute ride. the train takes around 1 to 3 hours each way and you get to see lots of the local area.

leonie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

It is possible to go by public transport, although a lot of people say it's a hassle from Anaheim to LA/Universal because of connections etc... but here is one way and it's cheap too, well the Amtrak option isn't cheap but the Metrolink train option is.

In order to get to Union on time with Amtrak, you would have to catch a cab from where you are in Anaheim to nearby Fullerton station and catch the train departing at 5.50am which arrives into Los Angeles Union at 7.15am - leaves you PLENTY of time for a Red line metro train to Universal. Amtrak you'd be looking at USD 11.00 one way from Fullerton and USD 12.00 from Anaheim.

The other option is to get to Fullerton station at 7.18am and catch a Metrolink Train (two types of trains run from the same stations - similar to Countrylink and the country trains we got here) which would then arrive into LA Union at 8.05am or there is a Mtrolink train from Anaheim station departing at 7.27am and arrives LA Union at 8.15am, still giving you time to get a Red metro line train to Universal.

Costwise, the Amtrak are obviously more expensive than the Metrolink trains. I have been told by someone I am in contact with that works for Metro and I think you can buy a ticket with free connections to your ultimate destination - buy the ticket at Anaheim station and you can use it all the way thru to Universal city - Can anyone confirm this?? I have seen similar info on their website, but it is a bit hard to understand... "All Metrolink tickets are also EZ transit passes, good for all-day travel in Los Angeles County on participating bus and Metro Rail lines". Cost is USD 6.75 from Fullerton one way or USD 7.50 from Anaheim.

The last ideal train on the Red line to get you to Universal on time would be:

Depart LA Union on the Red Metro line at 8.37am

Arrive Universal City at 9.02am.

For transport info:

www.metro.net

www.metrolinktrains.com

www.amtrak.com

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

thanks, I knew it was a different train to amtrak but couldnt remember its name, and that you can get an allday pass. someone else on TA on an old post told me this.

sorry to mislead mrandmrsblack a bit, but the idea is the right one.

leonie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

Thanks guys this is awesome info and so detailed too which is excellent! I will check it all out - sounds great!

Thanks!

6. Re: Transport to Universal in time for VIP Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 06:16