We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother Guilt

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Mother Guilt

OK- So I make these great plans, I'm ready to go. I bought RideMax, blah blah blah.....

Then my 9 1/2 y/o says, "but mom..... what about Legoland"

I know that he is at the very high end of the age range. I'm not sure if he'll be bored. It will be a PITA to squeeze in. It will add a ton of expense.

I can't say next time hon, because I know full well that by the time next time comes he will definately be too old.

So, what do I do?

My original plan was:

Friday - Arrive SNA 12:00, get car, get lunch and snacks check into Fairfield inn. Get 3 day park hopper, get tickets organized, dinner at rainforest cafe - wander around the parks with no real agenda.

Sat DL

Sun DCA

Monday 2:00PM flight from SNA

Should I change my Friday plan to go to Legoland right off the flight? I am worried that if I bag it, it may be one of those things that I pay thousands in therapy for later. What do you all think?

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother Guilt

Why not tell him that Legoland is designed for the younger child in mind and that you think he will feel babyish when he gets there?

Henderson, NV
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother Guilt

legoland is fun, but my 7 year old still picks disneyland over legoland if she has a choice.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother Guilt

We live in northern CA and we haven't been to Disneyland since just before DCA was opened. That means my kids were just 7 & 11 or almost 7 & 11. I hope my kids aren't in therapy because I didn't take them to Disneyland more often when htey were growing up.

They've never been to Legoland, Seaworld or Universal Studios either. I feel a big therapy bill coming my way! ;)

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother Guilt

Phew...dodged that bullet! After I said that if we chose LegoLand, we would only get the 2 day park hopper, WITHOUT early entry - he chose to pass on LegoLand.

I did make the therapy remark tounge in cheek,but in reality if the trip is for them, I should probably give some weight to their preferences!

I just booked the Goofy Kitchen brunch for Sunday @ 7:00, so DL Sat with early entry, sunday after brunch DCA - does that make sense?

Thanks all!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,439 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother Guilt

Your plans sound great. Good to skip Legoland.

Have a wonderful trip, crowds and all. One tip is to go late and stay late, it's cooler and crowds thin down.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother Guilt

Tell him there's a mini-Legoland at downtown Disney (and there is - there's a g-normous Lego store with museum quality Lego works - and hands on play, just like Legoland).

He'll probably get bored within 30 minutes - but will definitely feel he's been to Legoland. It's actually pretty amazing.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother Guilt

Outstanding tip about the lego store at Down Town Disney! I am stoked - that is perfect!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother Guilt

I wrote this before you posted again and my connection went down. I'm glad you went in the direction you did. I do want to add my post, though, because I think it says some good things. Thanks for reading. And again have a great time.

<<<Then my 9 1/2 y/o says, "but mom..... what about Legoland">>>

Okay, waaaiit a minute. ;) Ask yourself why he is saying this. Who was the first to mention Legoland? Was this the first mention of it? Did you just happen to talk about it at some time or other, not really meaning much of anything? Or did you promise, really promise you would go?

Unless you really, really promised, tell him that you are not going to Legoland and don't make ANY excuses or say anything further about it. There is no reason for you to feel guilt. Even if you brought up Legoland, it is better that you go into therapy than for him to go into therapy later in life when he discovers that there are choices to be made in life and he can't have everything.

If I'm remembering correctly you said you haven't been to a Disney Park since 2007. In my opinion, once he is there, he will forget all about Legoland, or at least it will become less and less important and by the time you leave he will be really satisfied with the trip.

Remember that you are giving him something special, regardless of whether you go to Legoland or not. A trip anyway, especially to Disneyland is something that is very hard, if not impossible, for even local parents to give nowadays. Many kids who live in So. Cal. cannot go to even Disneyland even for one day! You also are giving him time and attention. You should feel proud of yourself!

Your Sunday should be changed to park hopping, not just covering DCA. DCA is not a full day park and is going through construction right now. Attractions and shows are open, though. You may wish to spend Sunday night watching the Electrical Parade in DCA, or you may wish to go to either Fantasmic or see fireworks in Disneyland Park, since both are on. With a park hopper and hopping you will have choices you can make when you are there.

I think your Friday is good. Kids sometimes get bored with just walking around are chilling for a long time, though. There are three suggestions I have for Friday, although what is have in mind is just fine.

1) You could get a three day park hopper and spend the evening in Disneyland Park seeing the street party (6:30) and fireworks (9:30 - requires an hour and a half wait for a good spot), as well as doing some rides. Or go into DCA that night to see the Electrical Parade and do some rides (although I think Disneyland Park is a nicer park to visit right off). I think with the three day park hopper you will receive the one day magic morning entry - thus get into the park on a magic morning one hour early (only Fantasyland and some attractions in Tomorrowland). With a three day park hopper you will have more flexibility to leave the parks for a while if you are tired and want to come back. But that is just one suggestion.

2) If you have never been to Knott's, surprise him with Friday afternoon and night at Knott's. I believe they still offer a discount for entering after 4 p.m. They have other specials as well. You could have lunch at Mrs. Knott's before entering, although the Rainforest Cafe is a good idea for kids and you can certainly do both the lunch there and then afternoon/night at Knott's. Knott's Resort is just 6 miles away from Disneyland Resort. Part of the reason I'm thinking of this is precisely that he mentioned Legoland. Just a little twist. Say no to Legoland (if it wasn't your idea in the first place) and then surprise him with another cool place. (If you wish to spend the money.) That puts you in the driver's seat as a parent and helps you (and him) to avoid years of therapy. ; )

3) I believe you mentioned that your sister lives in Corona Del Mar. Check with your sister and if possible have lunch at the Rainforest (maybe even invite her along) on Friday and then head over to Corona Del Mar to spend some time with your sister (his Aunt). Head back to the Fairfield in the evening and watch the fireworks from the room. (Or even do the three day park hopper and go into the park for a while, but that seems like a lot.) If your sister is not available until the evening, you could still walk around Downtown Disney, chill and then visit your sister in the evening. If it will be a long time before your son returns to So. Cal, then it will be a long time before he can visit his aunt again.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother Guilt

I didn't notice that you said in the first place that you were going to get the three day park-hopper! Okay, sorry, I thought the plan was to wonder around Downtown Disney! It's all good then. Except, I do think you should learn when and where the shows are and decide if you want to go to them or avoid them. Otherwise, on Friday night without a plan in the parks, you could get stuck in a crowd with a castmember directing you to just follow everyone else! But, you seem to be on the ball and know what you are doing. I still think it would be a nice gesture to invite your sister to have lunch with you at the Rain Forest Cafe. Even if she can't go, or has to work, she might appreciate it.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother Guilt

Thanks Red for all of the thought you put into the last post! DEs are the best...

Sister in law isn't available Friday at all. We will spend probably Sunday afternoon with her after we get our DCA attractions out of our system. In the old days she would join us at the parks, but she has vowed no more DL in the summer.

What I meant about wandering the parks was not having a tight itinerary, but going into the parks. We will have Ridemax plans for the other days. We don't really want to watch the shows, the 14 year old would moan way too much if we made him wait to watch them. That said, when it's hot and we could be inside... it's another story.

I don't think the kids will want the younger rides at either park, so I think it will be really managable!

BTW - I had PROMISED that we would go to legoland, and just kept putting it off. He had toys in the toybox from when brother went and I was preggers with him. Although, I think it is all good and he made the choice for the three day hopper ticket and we are done! Now, I just need to fiddle with my ridemax thingy....

Thanks again for the help and support - give a shout when you are planning your next trip to Hawaii, maybe I can return the favor.