We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

Ok I discovered today whilst I was reading the news paper, that V Australia has cancelled all direct Melbourne to Los Angeles flights. If like I was, you were booked on one of these direct flights between now and December - I strongly suggest you call V and reschedule. You have to go via Sydney now and the sydney flights arrive in the late afternoon as opposed to the early morning arrival of the Melbourne flights. As we were arriving on the 31st of Oct and didn't want to miss Halloween at Disneyland - we opted to go the day before. They are contacting everyone apparently - but I suspect there will be only so many available seats on the Sydney flight...Very frustrating and irritating that not only do we have to pay another nights accommodation, we have to add several hours to our travel time and change planes in Sydney. They are not offering any compensation and not much empathy either! However we are going to Dinseyland/Vegas with 10 family members in a few months so irriation quickly gives way to excitement. Good luck to other travelers in this situation - smack for V Australia!!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

I have a feeling that you will not find your flight from Sydney to LA to be full. That's one of the reasons that they probably terminated the Melbourne to LA service. 10 months ago, I flew back from Melbourne to LA via Sydney on United. My trans-Pac flight was less than half full and the Melbourne to Sydney leg was practically empty. The flight attendants said the cargo hold was full but it was obvious that the economy had already started to take its toll. There are just fewer travelers this year and the airlines are struggling.

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

I am flying Sydney to LA in five weeks. Not long ago, I rang up and booked seats, and I had loads of choice for seats, togyether. we even got a seat vacant between each other on the window section, both going and returning.

I am hoping you Melburnians are not going to ruin our nice and spacious flights. lol.

wow there are loads of Aussies going over to LA judging by these forums, but then again, the prices keep get lower, every week it seems.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

When you booked did you read the special conditions?

^ Subject to regulatory approval.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

I don't buy into the economy reducing demand on flights to/from Australia. I flew in April/May, when the recession was in full swing, and had completely full planes each direction. I flew Qantas, SFO-SYD and BNE-LAX.

australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

In response to the person who asked if I 'had read to special conditions'. Of course I had. I am also aware V Australia is a low budget carrier and you get what you pay for! Morever I am not an unreasonable person - I understand things happen, delays etc. However to delete entire routes and then have customers find out about that by reading the newspaper is pretty poor - even by low cost airline standards. This entry was really about letting other people in my situation know what was going on, so they could rebook and not upset any of their plans.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
54 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

It's possibly too late, but I'm assuming they would offer a full refund in this situation.

The Qantas fares aren't that much more and if you choose to leave Melbourne on a Monday or Wednesday you will get the new A380.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

Hmmm, that's interesting.

I wonder what's happening to the Melbourne-LA flights after December.

In Jan we have Melbourne-Sydney-LA and our return flight is a direct LA-Melbourne. I just checked our itinerary online and it still says the same thing...

australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

According to the newspaper (The Age - Monday the 17th) - they said that the suspension of the direct flights were until December. However when I spoke to V Australia the helpdesk person told me it was purely budget related - "that they couldn't afford to run the Melbourne flights". Which makes me nervous - and if I was you I would keep a very close eye on what is going on. They are HOPELESS at letting customers know what is going on and quite disorganised generally. They told me the tickets would be reissued no later than 3 days - so Friday - they didn't come, called again - told they would definately come by today - they haven't. So I will have to call them AGAIN tomorrow. This also happened when I booked the first time- one of my party did not recieve their tickets for weeks -I had to call 5 times and they eventually put them on a 'priority queue'. Honestly if I wasn't traveling with 9 other family members I would change airlines. I have really lost confidence in V Australia. I understand that all new ventures have teething issues - but it is the way they are responding to the problems that concern me. Lets hope we get there with no more major hiccups!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

Sounds like they're taking the Jetstar approach to customer service, haha. You should be used to it! (Unless you have enough sense not to fly with Jetstar...!)

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FYI: If you are flying VAustralia direct Melbourne to L.A.

touch wood I am having very good serivice. I added my daughter onto our ticket, after around six months. I rang and now we have our seats organised, and as I said we have a space between the two of us on the window to aisle set of seats, with the third person directley next to us in the middle row.

iT will be interesting to see how we go when we actually take off.