We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just back report

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
just back report

Just flew back into Melbourne after a great week in LA, V Australia was Great except for the trip home when a computer malfunction in LA made us an hour late flying out & flowed onto sydnet where we had to drag our bags from the international terminal to the domestic which wasnt apreciated after a 14 hour flight, but in flight they where great comfortable seats, great in flight entertainment all in all would go with them again.

we stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim on Sth harbor boulevard, had stayed there before when it was westcoast anaheim 7 years ago, really great hotel and the service was excellent you also get a $100 card to use through out the hotel & restaurants there, clean rooms serviced daily & Tim the concierge couldnt help enough, 10 mins to disneyland, the only complaint was we hited a car & to park it there was $18US a day, you would have thought this would be free being a guest.

we did Disneyland, California Adventure & Universal, all three amazing, your never too old, at universal you can pay an extra $40 and get a front of line pass, no waiting in lines this will buy you an extra 2-3 hours in the park saving you waiting time, money well spent, you also get a behind the scenes look at waterworld & meet the cast once the show is over.

we hired a yellow mustang from anaheim car rentals, WOW cruising the highways in this car was amazing at $80 a day pretty cheap to feel like a celeb, the Sat Nav is a must and really made the driving easy.

What really grabbed me about the american people was their focus on service, being restaurants, the parks, the hotel, they where all polite & nothing was too much, restaurant service was quick wherever we went & portions HUGE and prices very reasonable every where, there is no shortage of eateries either.

Madame tussauds in Hollywood is a must the wax museum is excellent & the stars lifelike, worth a visit, Santa monica pier is amazing to stroll through, Venice beach on the weekends is a freak show, sidewalk shows & plenty of stores to buy t shirts souvenirs, food is cheap and plentiful, watching the guys in the muscle Gym showing off their bodies is one for the ladies & the guys playing Basketball is hilarious, they go at it very seriuosly but its very entertaining, worth sitting down for half an hour to take it all in.

Rodeo Drive is really how the other half live amazing designer shops you really need to have a lot of money to buy from, I actually felt uncomfortable walking into them, amazing cars parked in the streets, a really nice strip, we parked under 2 Rodeo Drive, you get valet parking and the 1st 2 hours free, we didnt spot any stars we could recognise anyway.

All in all we had an amazing time california is amazing an the weather was mid 30's celcius everyday,

Highlights, the IHOP breakfast. chocolate peanut butter milkshakes at Johnny Rockets, the block on Orange in Anaheim, stumbled across it on a Saturday night a variety of of shops in an outdoor mall. my visit to Chip Foose's workshop in Huntington Beach, as Im a car nut and watch his show on TV it was amazing strolling through his workshop & seeing his projects. and of course the theme parks All very well set out and heaps of fun for all ages.

Thanks USA we will be back soon!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just back report

Thanks Hawke for that amazing trip report, it just makes you want to be there! Sounds like you really planned it well and enjoyed every moment. Waterworld at Universal was a highlight for me, it's definitely a must if you are going to LA. We are also planning a shopping day and the Block is one of our stops, so glad to hear it's OK. We are also car nuts and looking for a Mustang that will seat the 6 of us.

Glad you shared your holiday with us.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just back report

Sounds like a great time! Unfortunately, the parking fees at most hotels are just a part of life. Hard to avoid and sometimes outrageous.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just back report

Glad you had a great time. We visited Oz for the first time in July and we too had a great experience.

Thank you for the trip report.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,910 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just back report

So glad you had a great time! Thanks for the compliments on our local service, restaurant, theme park workers - many Californians work very hard to make California a great place to visit.

Now, if we can only make our entire transportation system function the way Disney intended....

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,814 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just back report

Thanks for the trip report. I've got to try that chocolate peanut butter shake at Johnny Rockets!

>>>What really grabbed me about the american people was their focus on service, being restaurants, the parks, the hotel, they where all polite & nothing was too much...<<<<

I'd like to give my thanks as well for noticing and complimenting. Customer service is a big, big thing these days! Even some government workers are taught that customer service is highly important. It is actually quite a buzz word. I can almost count on being asked about my opinion of customer service when I am interviewed for any job. Sometimes I am amazed at the customer service of individuals in restaurants - makes me feel special. Disneyland, of course, if great at this.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just back report

The huge portions is a part of why Americans are so overweight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just back report

thanks for your report

Im going to try a peanut butter milkshake too LOL

australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just back report

Hi Hawk - thanks for the trip report - we are leaving at the end of October and flying V Australia from Melbourne. I am pleased to hear that except for a hiccup at the end it was all good. Just a question about Foose's workshop. My husband loves all the car shows on Foxtel - Overhaulin, American Hotrod etc - in fact the main reason we are going to the US is to attend the SEMA car show in Vegas. Anyway he would get a kick out of going to the workshop, but I goggled it and couldn't find any details. Would you mind telling me a bit more about it and an address if you have it. Cheers.

p.s.I hope you weren't away for the Grand Final!!!

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just back report

Hi Emma, yes I was away for the Grandfinal, but watched it at ESPN at Downtown Disney, so that was OK.

Going to Foose's worksop was an experience, didnt get to see the man but saw a couple of guys from overhaulin, its not glamourous or anything, nothing like the TV show which was a rented warehouse, but you do get to see his projects, its open monday-Friday 12.00pm-1.00pm (during their lunchbreak)the receptionist takes you around and tells you about what they are working on, when youve had enough you can buy merchandising, its located at 17811 Sampson Lane, Huntington Beach, CA. 92647(about 35mins from Anaheim) about 5 doors down is Lanzinis paint shop which was a feature on overhaulin, it doesnt cost anything you just roll up to that gate at 12.pm and stroll on in, take heaps of pics, you may be lucky & he might be there, good luck! oh and website is www.chipfoose.com

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just back report

Oh gosh, the shakes at Johnny Rockets are AWESOME.... (OK, I used to be a regional manager for the chain).

So I have had every type of shake they can make, and a few other "unique" creations.

My favorite Johnny Rockets meal, a #12 Burger with a small amount of peanut butter spread on the bun (similar to using mayonnaise), Onion Rings and a Mocha Shake.