We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cant decide on best time for DL

Victoria
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cant decide on best time for DL

Hi my family of 5 is trying to decide whether we should come to DL for 2 weeks in January or 2 weeks over Easter (March-April) 2010. Are there any US holidays during these times and does DL get really busy over Easter? Does DL have any Easter theme parades? Any hints would be great...thanks.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,724 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

The US has Martin Luther King Jr holiday on January 18th (3 day weekend), and Easter on April 4th. Many public school districts have the week before Easter or the week after Easter off for Spring Break.

I would think that January would have lighter crowds, but I'm interested to read what the experts think.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

Well, January is the slowest time of the year. Mar/Apr is during the 'spring break' period when schools are out for the easter holiday season. Some breaks start around 15 Mar and others are later but all are over by around 15 Apr.

The weather will be a tiny bit warmer during Mar/Apr (but not significantly so). Rain is more likely in Jan/Feb/Mar than in Apr, however.

Here's some info you might find interesting.

www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/atend.htm

I would recommend not 'overthinking' your holiday. You don't have to see EVERY attraction at DL in order to have a good time. The point of visiting the park is to RELAX and enjoy yourselves.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

Most kids will have off the week before easter (so basically from two Saturday's before Easter to Easter Sunday itself). Christmas break will (for most kids) extend to Jan 2 or 3 this year. And as mentioned, Martin Luther King Day on the 18th. Probably you'll have less crowds at Disney during January. But be sure to weigh that against the park hours which might be longer around easter and might offset the larger crowds.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

I was thinking the same times for my next trip.

having just seen how wonderful halloween was,id love to see it in another theme though too,but jan and april suit us best school wise.

I really dont care if its wet a lot in disneyland,,id rather be wet with short lines,,than sunny and crowed,,i dont care for swimming either,,its disneyland time not swim time.

You do need to get some clear sky time to get some good photos though.

I would hate disneyland in summer,i couldnt think of anything worse,,crowed and hot.

so is easter time really nice as in themed and decorations???

Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
814 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

There are no themes for Easter, it is just a busier time of the year with kids having time off from school.

The only themes I have seen are Halloween and Christmas. And the Christmas theme is great! It's A Small World has like 250,000 lights on it and they have christmas song mixed with the regular song.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

First off, January has become more and more busy due to a few things.

First is changes in the School Schedules, many school districts now do not return until the second full week in January. This is primarily due to the fact many schools won't start up until after Three Kings Day, due to the large amount of unexcused absences that it creates (And schools lose money).

Also, in 2010, the Rose Bowl game will be held later than normal (January 7th) since it is the National Championship game for the BCS.

Of course, the 15th through the 18th will be busy due to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday.

This is also the time of the year that Disney has special offers, both for locals (Such as Pay for Disneyland, get DCA for FREE! 2fer tickets) and for visitors (things like "2 extra days free when you buy 3" or "Everyone at the Kids price"). These are the typical specials, and nothing official has been announced for the 2010 season yet. But Disney has been promoting the early part of the season to help drive up attendance.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

Let me clarify my comments about the Rose Bowl.

The Pasadena Venue will host 2 different Bowl Games this year.

The traditional Rose Bowl game on January 1st, and then a second game on January 7th for the National Championship. (It rotates every few years, and it is the Rose Bowl's turn in 2010).

This will bring in large groups of fans that will not just want to go to the game, but also do some sightseeing in and around the Southern California area. Disney should have extended hours through January 10th due to the expected large crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena
Pasadena
California
California
California
United States
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

In the latter part of January the Rivers of America that surround Frontierland, part of Adventureland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country inside Disneyland Park will be drained and the refurbishment of the River will likely continue until about April.

So during this time there will be: a drained river, no Fantasmic, no access to Tom Saywer's Island, no Mark Twain Riverboat, no Columbia Sailing Ship, and no Davy Crockett Canoes.

I think that should help in your decision making process.

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,123 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

Last I heard, the Rivers will be closed from early January thru mid-May in 2010 for major refurb.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cant decide on best time for DL

Thanks for the correction. That's right.