We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

Need some really good advice please. Booked my hotel Howard Johnson Plaza hotel from 24th to 29th November. After that I found out through this forum that it is slap bang in the middle of thanksgiving week, and the parks are going to be crowded. I can change the dates and go to Los Angeles from 24th to 29th, want to do Universal, (2 days) Six Flags, and not really sure at this stage what else. If I change my dates I cannot get HOJO from 29th to 5th. booked out but I can pay $140.00 extra and get Tropicana Inn & Suites or pay $84.00 less and get Clarion Anaheim. What should I do? firstly should I keep it as it is and stand in lines for upto an hour and a half (is this for real) or should I change and either pay extra or less to have less crowds from 29th onwards in anaheim. The park hours are about 3 hours less in that week, but if the crowds are less too, then that should be ok.

Which hotel is better Clarion which is not walking distance and charges $12 parking or Tropicana which is right opposite the park.

Time is running out for me and I need to either do the swap or keep things as they are and do it pretty soon. I must say I am not too keen in standing in long lines as I have a bad ankle, not bad enough to get a wheel chair, but still rather painful if I stand for long periods.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

i would still switch to the 29-5 disneyland will be much more enjoyable.

take a look at the fairfield inn, they are closer to the main entrance than hojos and have availability for those dates starting at 119.00 a night

heres their website

marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxoc-fairfield-i…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

if you switch hotels, you may also be able to get a AAA discount usually up to 20% off on whatever hotel you decide on if you have some form of the AAA card in your country, heres a recent thread that explains more

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k275869…

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
69 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

How many people are in your party? If it is only 2, The Camelot Inn and Suites also has a King bed room available 11/29 - 12/6 for $124.61/night.

We've stayed there before (and had a good experience) and it's right across the street from DL close to the pedestrian crosswalk.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

I'll check the reviews of the hotels you have in mind, but first, let's see what differences there are other than crowds. I took a look at the official calendar for Disneyland Park and here's what I found.

The difference in park operating hours is not too bad. There are still lengthy hours on Friday Dec 4th and Saturday Dec. 5th and for the weekdays that week closing is at 9, opening at 10 for Disneyland Park. That's better than an 8 p.m. closing, so that's nice. If you have a Magic Morning on your tickets that will give you an hour early entry on one day (designated MM day) into Main Street, Fantasyland, and some rides in Tomorrowland (not Space Mt., though), so on one day you could enter at 9 a.m. instead of 10 for at least part of Disneyland Park. And it's also nice not too have to think you must be at the turnstiles by 8 a.m. everyday if you want to get in at park opening.

There is a difference in scheduled shows, but again, not too great. You will still see the Christmas Parade and the special Christmas Fireworks show. What you would miss if you change weeks is Fantasmic, the Tiana Showboat Show, and bands on the weekend (one rock and one swing). If you or anyone in your family is really looking forward to seeing Fantasmic and would feel deprived at not being able to see it, then that is something to think about and weigh in your decision. Fantasmic does create a lot of crowds in the west side of the park and makes it hard to get to and from rides there before, during, and after a show. So with no Fantasmic scheduled it actually benefits you in a way. Also, when Fantasmic is not scheduled at night, the Mark Twain and/or the Columbia is likely to run in the evenings, since Fantasmic is on the Rivers of America. A nightime boatride is a very nice way to experience the Rivers of America.

Another big difference in the shows available - in a good way - is the Candlelight Processional, which is an unadvertised special Christmas tradition should be Dec. 5th (and Dec 6th). Traditionally, it is on the first Saturday and Sunday of December.

This features specially chosen area choirs dressed in choir robes singing traditional Christmas carols and carrying candles in a procession down Main Street. They arrive at the Town Square part of Main Street (near the entrance) and form a "human Christmas Tree" on the stairs and platform of the Main Street railroad station. There is an orchestra and they join the orchestra in more carols. A guest reader, a well known celebrity reads the biblical account of Christ's birth. The reader usually changes each year and I haven't heard who it is for this year yet. There is limited seating available, at a separate fee, which includes dinner but not admission to the park. Reservations for seating go very fast, but there is plenty of standing room. There are some planters near City Hall on Main Street and a bench or two near there in front of the restrooms and I imagine that would be okay to sit on if your ankle bothers you. You would need to stake out a place far in advance.

There are two showings of Candlelight Processional and Main Street does become very crowded during those times. The rest of the park should be thinned out a bit during the CP. The fireworks and parade will be scheduled earlier those nights than usual, however the official calendar does not reflect that at this time.

I think it would be, on whole, a nicer experience for you if you change the week that you are in Anaheim. On most days, you should experience less crowding, except during the fireworks show. That doesn't guarantee that you will not experience a long line for a ride or two. After your first day getting used to the parks you should start to really use the Fast Pass system and the Single Rider passes. You might want to designate someone to go get Fast Passes for everyone. I think the first day, though, should be more of a spontaneous day and you should just grab Fast Passes as you happen to be going by a ride that has them. That way you get to know how to use them without feeling tied to doing your day that way. (It won't have such a need of them early in the week anyway - if you are changing weeks.) A good thing to remember is that Fast Passes don't expire as long as you use them on the same day, despite that they have an end time printed on them.

Ride the Matterhorn as your first ride in the morning (or late at night if the crowds thin). The line is always longer as the day goes on and there is no Fast Pass or Single Rider for that.

Your ankle should be a concern whether or not there are long lines because visiting Disneyland Resort parks requires a lot of walking. Universal requires walking too. I don't want to mix you up, but you might want to consider where you want to visit first based on how many days of pain you can take - meaning that maybe if you went right to Disneyland Resort you will be at least feeling good on your first couple of days. I don't know, it's hard to say.

Personally, I don't understand how a ride can have an hour and a half wait because I have been to DL on very crowded days and have never waited that long! (And that's over many, many years.) I think that reported wait time may be for just one particular popular ride. Maybe Splash Mt., Space Mt., or Finding Nemo. Splash and Space both have Fast Pass and if you have multipule days with a sore ankle, it's best to just ride those when you can get a Fast Pass. Splash also has single rider pass. (As does Indy.) With Single Rider, you basically by pass the lines, go through the safety instruction area and are put in the next single seat available. You must ride alone. Finding Nemo, in my opinion, is not at all worth waiting for. I did it around 11:30 p.m. on my last visit because the lines were short. But the unloading and loading takes quite a bit of time. It's an okay ride for children, although convining. But really quite boring for adults. I enjoy just looking at the lagoon better than going on the ride.

I advise you to email or call Disneyland Resort's Guest Relations and see if and how you can get the disability pass that will help you to bypass lines.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

The Clarion is too far away for you to walk with a bad ankle and has a low rating here. You would end up taking the ART shuttle and paying even more. I didn't care for the Tropicana's reviews.

Because of your ankle, I'm going to suggest a couple of places for you to look into with complimentary shuttles. Candy Cane Inn, which is also walking distance. Sheraton Anaheim (just north of Disneyland Resort's Border). Candy Cane Inn has a smaller amount of rooms, so may be sold out.

Also, did you look into the Fairfield Inn? It is very close to HoJo's.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

Sorry for third post. I just noticed the rates at the Sheraton Anaheim are high. I looked at rates for Fairfield Inn and that looks good.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d113856-…

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

This recent thread had some good info from TA member Waratahers about using some kind of assisted transportation: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29092-i65-k318575… I hope that you manage to enjoy your time in Disneyland with your bad ankle, but keep the option of using a wheelchair in the back of your mind.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

That post seems to indicate that rest of the party lines up separately and I thought that they actually go in the special entrance together. Also, some disabilities that don't require a wheelchair still can get the disability pass. (Even some emotional/mental disabilities.) Darkbeer would be another good source about this.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

Hi

Yes change the days and pay the extra $140 for the tropicana,,this holiday is costing you thousands another $140 is nothing,,and its going to make your trip even better being so close,you dont want to kick yourself after that you should of just got the closer hotel.

I met aussies that stayed there and loved it,,i stayed next door,,its so close,,from the disneyland gate where they scan your ticket to my bed was 10 min(thats not waiting at the traffic lights LOL)

I can see how torn you are with the dates,,yeah its a tough one, tossing up which way to go,but really get the closest hotel

Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anaheim/Los angeles 24th to 5th Dec

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for the info, it has helped me make a decision. I am not sure what Fantasmic is, however I do like the sound of the Christmas Parade. I am going to change the dates. Mind made up, however because I have booked the HOJO through a travel agent, I have no choice in choosing a hotel I want I can only swap for a hotel that they allow me to, hence I have only 3 choices Clarion $84 less - I am not too keen on this one for the distance. Tropicana Inn & Suites $140 more or Best Western Stoval $100 less. I would have preferred the Fairfield Inn, but they cannot get it for me. I am leaning towards the Best Western. I have to make my decision today. I have seen the reviews and most of them are pretty good, should I go with this one. I could get breakfast included for an extra $100.00 for 5 of us for the 6 days. Is it better to buy my own, so I have a choice what we eat or is it a good breakfast at the B/W

also can someone let me know how a fast pass works please?