We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

california
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Well here is my question.. i am looking at the 10 day forecast for next week and 2 of the 3 days we are scheduled to be at the park it is supposed to rain. Are the rides still open when it rains? If not what ones do they close? This way we can hit those up on the day it is not supposed to rain. I am bummed out.. but my silver lining is maybe the will be even less crowded.

any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Fewer crowds and Mickey raincoats!

Last time we were there in rain, they closed Tom Sawyer island (now Pirate Island?), Storybook Land and a couple of others. Not sure about Autopia, think it was still going.

So many rides have part covered waiting areas and the lines are of course way shorter.

Lots of times the rain is just off and on, so they may have a ride open during part of a rainy day and close it when it starts to pour. The indoor areas do get more crowded (Main Street).

You can walk all the way down either side of Main Street indoors simply by going into the first store you get to on either front corner. THe train stations are covered and so is the train. Pirates has a special covered area they open when it's raining. Haunted Mansion we had to stand like 4-5 minutes outside the porch area in our raincoats, then it was all good.

Fast pass line to Indiana Jones is all covered. Most of Jungle Cruise waiting area is covered. We meant to go over to Fantasyland to see if Dumbo was still flying and if there were shorter lines (Dumbo is always so darned long a wait!) but didn't get to it.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

I haven't been to DL when it has rained (at least as an adult) and I can see you already got a good answer. I just thought I'd mention that I have been to nearby Knott's in the rain at Christmas-time and I think it really adds a lot of atmosphere Christmas celebrations. I have watched the tree lighting show at Knott's when it started to rain a lot and that was not so good. Umbrellas come out and views are obscurred. So a concern I think you should have is any outdoor shows such as the parade and fireworks, especially fireworks. Try to set aside the non-rainy day(s) for those. I can't imagine what it must be like to wait in steady light rain for fireworks, hoping it will clear up and then hearing they are cancelled. I have read that parades are cancelled in heavy rain and then Mickey and Friends go down Main Street in the Double Decker Trolley. Oddly enough in WDW a parade may just go on during rain - I guess it's less predicable. Anyway, thank goodness for Doppler, huh?!

Slightly off topic:

I think Tom Sawyer's Island has not changed names, but is Tom Sawyer's Island with Pirates' Lair. Anyway, I guess those who love Disneyland will never drop the name Tom Sawyer's Island! (I've seen it abbreivated as TSI.) I don't like calling it Pirates' Lair as some guests may not know it as such, as well as for sentimental reasons. I also like to keep in mind that Tom wanted to be a pirate and got into a misadventure because of that. That way I don't get bitter about the Pirates of the Caribbeen enterprise moving in. I know that the narration on the Mark Twain still refers to the island as Tom Sawyer's Island.

Edited: 30 November 2009, 22:34
Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

I've been there a few times when it's rained. As far as I remember all the rides were still open though they did cancel the fireworks & Fantasmic show. Get some ponchos to stick in your backpack. You can buy some cheapies for about $1 at most at most department stores (in the camping dept) and some auto parts places (Kragen, Pep Boys, etc.). It's cheap insurance. If you buy a poncho in the park you will have to pay several dollars for them (can get expensive if you're buying for the whole family).

The good thing about the rain, at least for us, is that the park emptied out and we had a much shorter wait for the rides. Have fun.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Am I correct in assuming you are not allowed to take umbrellas into the park?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

I'm not sure whether or not umbrellas are allowed, but they will be a royal PITA. I would take a lightweight poncho or hooded windbreaker. They are lighweight, pack small, and don't have to be folded and opened every 5 minutes.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,541 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Go ahead and take umbrellas! There is absolutely no reason for umbrellas to be banned. You can totally take umbrellas in. Pack a portable one in your backpack – that’s no hassle. Pack a poncho too, if you wish. In my opinion, a poncho is no substitute for an umbrella in a study rain. If you have both, great. Umbrellas are only a hassle during shows. Then you want something with a hood so you don't get in the way of someone else's view. Still, one year I saw an outside show while it was raining (at Knott's) and there was a mixture of people with hoodies and people with umbrellas. Honestly, I was glad I was one of the ones with an umbrella! (Felt a little bad about blocking the view of some people, but kept some rain off of the folks closest too me as we were in a pretty tight crowd.) If have time, I highly recommend buying an automatic by London Fog, which you can order on-line. They are great. Spoiled me for any other umbrella.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Cool, thanks for the advice. Fingers crossed I won't need it...

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

I love to go to Disneyland when it's raining and have deliberately planned visits around rainy days. The park is practically empty and the majority of the rides will still run. Rides that do close are some of the completely outdoor rides, like the Teacups or the Storybook Boats. There is still plenty to do and you can ride the rides multiple times with little to no waiting in lines.

Just make sure you have rainboots or waterproof shoes, raincoats and fold-up umbrellas. Then, you'll be dry, comfortable, and have fun!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

Going to Disney in the rain is fantastic! That's when the Cast Members go, they know best. Shorter lines. Almost everything is still open as far as rides, some of the outdoor dining places may be closed. But consider yourself lucky. It's even better when it just rains a little in the morning and then is clear for the rest of the day.

The one thing that might be disappointing if it's raining at night is they might not do snow on Main Street (if they're still using soap flakes). If it's windy there won't be fireworks, but they wont' tell you until right before. So if you are there for several days be sure to get the fireworks in as soon as possible and don't count on them for another night.

You can bring umbrellas but they are annoying, a collapsible one is a good idea if it's raining really hard, otherwise I just wear my (Mickey) waterproof parka with a hood.

Great White North
Level Contributor
367 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RAIN when we are there.. what to expect?

We were there this past Monday in the pouring rain, fortunately I saw the forecast and packed rain boots. As long as my feet are dry, I'm happy. We used the rain ponchos and an umbrella, it was pouring. The longest line up we experienced was 5 minutes, and most of the time we waited less than 1 minute.

One thing that was fantastic was I had brought a large black garbage bag to use as a cover for my stroller, an umbrella stroller fits right inside a garbage bag, so the stroller stayed dry all day.