We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Put this in another post, but haven't had any replies, so thought I would try my own...

"Are they any places close to Disneyland that would sell good quality winter gear at a reasonable price? We will also be there around that time, but are then off to the snow.... Had planned on getting our winter/ski gear in LA rather then lugging it half way accross the world...

Otherwise how about LA? My friend who lives in the US said we should just go to Walmart or Kmart. Are there any in Anaheim area? We will be looking for both children's and adults clothes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Hi,

there is a Target about 15 minutes up the road or South Coast Plaza is a huge shopping centre that does shuttle bus runs from the Disneyland area

South Coast Plaza

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

I assume that you will be planning on visiting the San Bernardino mountains for your skiing/snow fun (Snow Valley or Big Bear, perhaps). You may want to stop at Dick's Sporting Goods in Yorba Linda or Sport Chalet in Redlands for skiing gear.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Any of the discount stores like Walmart or Kmart or Target will have SOME winter gear, but not much. They will have the basic things like jackets, sweaters, gloves, etc.,.....maybe some beanies and hats, but that's about it. But the prices are GREAT! If you want the "real" stuff......the real heavy duty stuff......like for the snow, you have to go to a place that also sells a lot of ski stuff. As mentioned, places like Sport Chalet, Sport Authority, Dick's, Big 5, etc. But of course, the prices will be a lot higher at those places too.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Oh, and if you do want to go to Walmart or Target, yes, there are quite a few in the Anaheim area. Just check their websites...

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

I agree with the idea of Sports Chalet or Dick's. Even if you just want to walk around in the snow, you can't get the kind of socks that you really need (with wicking properties) at regular stores. Dick's had a good special going on this year and it might be a good idea to see what they have going on next year. I believe that Sports Chalet in Redlands is in either close to or in the same center as Target is (a very nice center called Citrus Plaza, right off the freeway).

Edited: 30 December 2009, 00:52
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Actually we are going to Canada and then Alaska for skiing..

We will be in San Francisco first and will be going to Yosemite National Park, so wanted some warm/snow clothes for there.

My friend who lives in Alaska suggested places such as Walmart etc... but it sounds as if the consensus is to go to a speacialty shop, is that right? If so, is there any around Anaheim? Won't be near (as far as I know) the places mentioned by ntzbbl

Thanks

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Yorba Linda is very close to Anaheim. As long as you will have a car you can get there. It is to the east. You can either take the 91 freeway east or take surface streets. Also in Yorba Linda, there is the Richard Nixon Birthplace and Presidential Library, which would be worth looking into. At least walking the outdoor grounds a bit would be nice.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Sport Authority is GREAT and there's one in Santa Ana, which is close to Anaheim.

3900 S. Bristol Street

Santa Ana, CA 92704

(714) 751-9912

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Let me share some "common" sense...

Shopping at Mass Merchandisers (Such as WalMart, Target, etc.) for COLD or EXTREMELY Cold weather gear just won't work. Yes, they will sell some basic gloves and decent jackets, but they are selling to the Southern California Market, when we freak out if the temperature gets below 50 degrees Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius). You won't find Cold Weather gear in most stores.

The Sporting Goods Stores that deal with the Ski Market is your best bet, and there are plenty of suggestions above.

Heck, I don't even think the local WalMarts/Targets/KMarts, etc. sell Thermal Underwear!

Now, if you went to WalMart in Alaska, or even Seattle, or any Canadian Store, you will find lots of Cold Weather gear in the Winter. The Stores carry what sells in the local area....

Edited: 30 December 2009, 05:56
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping in Anaheim or LA

Most shops at the actual destination are usually quite expensive, since they cater to people who forgot, lost, or damaged an item and need to replace it. Also they have a captive market, and January is in the peak of the winter sports season.

Also agree that Walmart, Target, etc. gear is rather downmarket. You may end up disappointed in the fit, warmth, features, or longevity.

Dick's, Sports Chalet, etc. are a good balance of quality and price. They also tend to have good selections and the employees are often active in the various sports and are fairly expert and experienced.