We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ticket and driving advice

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
winnipeg
Level Contributor
187 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
ticket and driving advice

okay this question is always asked but!!

we are going to be at disneyland in mid april with a 3.5 yr old and 10 month old .

we plan to spend two days during the week at the park / or one day at park and one day at knott's ?anyadvice /

our sister in law lives there and will be buying the tickets .so whats the best package a two day park hopper ?

most likly it will be one adult and the 3.5 yr old on rides.

Also we will be renting a car at LAX and driving , so i dread the drive as i have not been to LA before . anyadvice on driving tips and also a good rental place .

thanks

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ticket and driving advice

At the moment the best deal on Disney is the 3 day park hopper for $149 - normally that price only gets the two day park hopper.

If you've never been to Disney, you'd probably want to spend two full days there, rather than one day there and one day at Knotts. IMHO, Knotts is not as good for young kids.

I'd say don't rent the car at LAX if you can avoid it - a) its more expensive, since the rental car companies charge more at the airport locations and because the local government adds airport taxes b) you won't need the car during your two days at Disney. If you can go to Disney first, rent the car in Anaheim when you are ready to move on with the rest of your trip. Most companies will let you return the car to LAX with no extra fee.

I'd stick with the big national chains, regardless of what location you rent the car from - Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, National, etc. At LAX, there are several smaller companies, that at first glance are cheaper (often much cheaper), but I've heard a lot of horror stories about them, the kind that go a long way towards ruining people's vacation. Better in my estimation to pay a little more for a more reputable company where you're less likely to have any real issues.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ticket and driving advice

There is a bus (coach) service from LAX to the Disney area hotels, and several shared van companies (Super Shuttle, PrimeTime, and my favorite Karmel). Fare is $15 per person on all of them, so you can decide if that offsets the higher car rental costs at the airport.

Driving will be fine if you avoid the rush hours which are 630am-830am and 4pm-630pm on weekdays. You can encounter traffic at any time but normally won't outside those hours. Also avoid I-5 between LA and Anaheim, an old freeway with major construction going on.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ticket and driving advice

Don't rent a car at all. Take the Disneyland Express Shuttle from LAX and back again. Google Grayline Southern California Anaheim and look under airport shuttles on their website. If you are not staying at an Anaheim Resort or Garden Grove hotel, but are staying with your sister in law, choose a hotel the shuttle goes to (preferrably the first one) and have her pick you up from there. The Disneyland Express is very affordable and goes to all Anaheim Resort and Garden Grove Hotels. You have other shuttle options, but they would be shared vans and could be going to other places than Disneyland Resort/Anaheim Resort before you get there.

To get to Knott's from an Anaheim Resort hotel, you can take the Metro 460 bus from outside Disneyland Resort's Main Gate and get there in about 25 minutes. It runs just about every half hour every day of the week. If you are staying at a hotel that is not within walking distance of the main gate of Disneyland Resort, you can take the ART Shuttle (Anaheim Resort Shuttle) for a small fee each day.

How many days total do you have? I think that Knott's is perfectly fine, and in fact good, for young children, but if you only have two days you might want to visit Disneyland Resort parks on both days (with Disneyland being the first day and park hopping between the two Disney parks on the second day). If Disneyland has extended operating hours, you could visit Knotts during the early part of the day for the second day and then go back to Disneyland Resort parks for the later part of the day. One thing to consider is if it is open extended hours that means they are expecting high attendance.

For both Disneyland Resort parks and Knott's you have the option of using the Child Swap program on the rides. I'm not sure exactly how Knott's does it, but at Disneyland you simply tell the castmember upon entering the line or at loading that you want to do Child Swap or want a Child Swap Pass. One adult rides with the child who can ride and the other stays with the child who can't. Then you switch. I've heard stories of a child getting to ride twice - once with each parent. But I always think of it as the second parent rides alone. This can be used on rides that your children cannot go on as well, with each of you riding alone.

Also, Indiana Jones and Splash Mt. have Single Rider passes which means a single rider can go straight to the ride safety instruction area and then move to loading and be put in the first available seat. (Some rides in DCA as well have this.) So, for example one of you can go on Splash Mt. and get through quickly while the other goes on nearby Adventures of Winnie the Pooh with the children. There are several rides that all of you can go on, even the 10 month old. Believe it or not, Pirates of the Caribbeen is one of them. Of course, if only one adult would be going on the rides because the other doesn't like rides, that is understandable and you can also use Child Swap in that case if you want.

For Knott's, personally, I would stick to the family rides, Camp Snoopy, Mystery Lodge, and walking through Ghost Town enjoying the shows. For the toddler, a trip to the free area of Independence Hall is a must, in my opinion, because of the duck pond and chickens/roosters that room the area. For that, you don't even need to visit the rest of the park.

I'd say that it's possible on your second day to go over to Knott's in the early morning, have breakfast at the famous Mrs. Knott's restaurant, visit the duck pond, go into the park and visit Camp Snoopy, ride the train and stagecoach, see Mystery Lodge, and then return to Anaheim to visit Disneyland/DCA and maybe even sneak in a nap before going. Make sure to keep checking the Knott's website for specials.

Keep in mind that if you decide not to go to the Knott's theme park, you can go to the free area of the Knott's Marketplace, which includeds Mrs. Knott's Restaurant, the Farm Bakery, the Farm Market, two gift stores and a Snoopy Headquarters store and Independence Hall with its duck pond as well.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ticket and driving advice

By the way, Canadians can participate in the new Disney promotion, Give a Day of Volunteering, Get a Disney Day. If you volunteer with one of their partners for one day, you receive a voucher for a free one day ticket for one park. Children under six are not eligible. There are a few black out days, but not many. I just thought I'd mention this in case you wanted to do it, since you could get two adult one day one park tickets free if you go through the program. If you want to upgrade to two day park hoppers when you get here, you could do that. But, you could also figure out the total of a one day one park for your three year old with two adult and one child one day park-hoppers for you second day and see how that compares to purchasing two day park hoppers for all of you.

See the following link for information on Give a Day, Get a Day. I have gone through the searching for volunteer opportunities and can give you tips if you need.

…go.com/disneyparks/…

5. Re: ticket and driving advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 06:16