We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Vancouver, BC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Hi , I need your help, I was wondering if it would be worth it to book a good neighbour hotel like Staybridge suites and book a dining package as well with the disney website where I get dining vouchers to use at the park and resorts? is it worth it? I am going in May 2010 for approx 8-9 days. I will be travelling with my husband and m 2 kids (6 and 3 years). Which is the best hotel to stay at that is around $110 or less? We will be going to Legoland for 1 day as well. We really need your help. We are on a very tight budget!!! Please!!!! Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,647 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

heres some info on the dining plan you are interested in, its not recommended generally for disneyland.

tripadvisor.com/…22024383

heres a map of hotels close to the main entrance to disneyland

printfreemaps.com/maps/freedisneylandareamap…

you might look into the howard johnsons entertainment book rate for may,

they are a fairly close walk to the main entrance.

www.hojoanaheim.com/boards/viewtopic.php…

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

I wouldn't choose it because there are too many off site choices and you can even take a break from the park and walk over to one of them then return, if you want to. Also, if you have a fridge in your hotel room, you can make sandwichs if you want to purchase food, or you might even have lodging at a place with continental breakfast and be able to take away from that some fruit as snacks for the day. You are allowed to bring in a sandwich and/or small snack, as long as you don't load up a backpack with a lot of them.

Also, meals inside Disneyland Resort's park restaurants can be large enough to share.

How many days are you planning on going to the Disneyland Resort Parks? Are you planning on anything other than Legoland. Four days would be the top that you need in the DLR parks and three is probably plenty. You might want to take one day or a half a day and visit Knott's Berry Farm, either the theme park (concentrating on Camp Snoopy and family attractions) or the free area of the Market Place, Independence Hall (with duck pond), and Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Mrs. Knott's is a don't miss for good home style cooking.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 01:33
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Here is a website that will show you exactly what is available inside Disneyland Resort's restaurants, with up to date menus and pricing information.

http://allears.net/dlr/din/dining.htm

Across the street from Disneyland Resort is Mimi's Cafe, IHOP, McDonald's. You can look at their menus on line too.

vancouver, british...
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

We are going in May also and always go at this time of year as we like the weather and the crowd level.

Definitely do not buy the Dining Plan!! There is no point to it as it does not provide any savings and basically makes you eat at Disney restaurants and you may not want to do that. There are so many other options in Downtown Disney and near Disneyland. A great website to check out that lists all the dining options in the Disneyland resort, including Downtown Disney is www.allears.net. At the top just choose Disneyland and then when the new window opens, choose DLR Dining and you will have complete menus.

This will give you a better idea of your dining options.

I must say that I don't agree with Redlands Redhead about Knotts Berry farm based on the ages of your children . I wouldn't bother with Knott's Berry Farm if you had not already planned on it. We have been and it has a neat atmosphere. However, the only rides that are suitable for you to enjoy as a family that would be something you couldn't find at our local Playland is the Butterfield Stagecoach and Calico Mine Ride. Otherwise, there is Camp Snoopy which are the basic rides you can find at our playland, dressed up in a different theme.

Legoland however, in our opinion, was fantastic! We has an absolutely fabulous time there and could have spent another day there.

In my opinion, based on your children's age you can spend 5 days touring Disneyland and Disney's California Adeventure and you will still probably not see everything.

We have been going to Disneyland since our children were 3 and we have found that children that age tend to break down if you spend every single day going full force at theme parks. Older children and adults enjoy it but I think it just gets too much for the little ones so we try to not overschedule. It is hard to resist though!

With regard to accommodation, this can be such a difficult decision. However, I think asking others for their suggestions is a great idea but you will probably get more suggestions if you indicate the following:

-exact dates

-are you looking for a suite or is one room with 2 beds adequate?

-are you planning on going back to your room during the day?

-do you want to be able to walk, take the ART or do you plan to drive?

-do you need a microwave?

-is a complimentary breakfast important to you? How important?

-do you want to be close to restaurants, sit down and fast-food?

-how important is a pool? Do you plan on spending time in it?

-is there anything else that is really important to you?

Will definitely try to give you some suggestions when I have a better idea of what you are looking for in regard to accommodations.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Pretty much agree that with kids that age, there is no such thing as too many days at Disneyland (although a side trip to Legoland is just the right break to take). Let the kids go on the rides they like a bunch of times!

Don't do the meal plan. Be flexible and creative - it will cost you way less.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Oh my goodness. Why does Knott's get this bad rap?

Knott's Berry Farm is just perfect for the ages of your children. As I said, just visit Camp Snoopy, the family rides, and Independence Hall. If they have an ice show or Peanuts show scheduled, so much the better. But there is always Snoopy or someone from the Peanuts Gang around. There is a wonderful vintage steam engine train in the middle of Knott's, with authentic passenger cars. (Riding on it as a young child is part of what started me on a life long love of trains.) There are great Native American dancers and a Native American storytelling show with special effects that will wow your six year old. Your three year old (and six year old) will thoroughly enjoy the ducks and chickens/roosters at the pond in front of Independence Hall. As I mentioned, that area of the park is free as is the Market Place. It's a real shame that this cute little FREE area is overlooked by visitors when it is just the place to take liitle ones and do a bit of window shopping. Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant is definitely a don't miss. Very popular in the past with the old movie stars and still popular with locals. Be prepared to blow your diet but not your budget.

I've been going to Knott's since I was a kid, which, I hate to admit, is a long time. I took my nephews there when they were four and five and one of my nephews sons there during Christmas season when he was two. I know the history. It's not like a neighborhood playland or carnival that just sprang up. That is a great misunderstanding of the park. Obviously it is not enjoyed but each and every visitor, as evidenced by the above post, but give it a try with the right attitude. At least visit the duck pond and let the kids run around with the roosters and fed the ducks.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 04:31
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,705 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

I apologize, I didn't know the reference to Playland was an actual park. Re-reading the above post lead me to think about it further and google. "Our playland" confused me, but intrigued me. I can see it's quite a park, with a wooden coaster that was built in 1958. I don't however, think you can compare it to a place that a family (Knott family) built up on their own berry farm before that date. Walter Knott's dream meant as much to him as Walt Disney's. Sorry to be so over-protective. Just the local in me.

vancouver, british...
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

I think it is great that you promote Knotts Berry Farm so much Redlands Redhead and I agree with you that it is a great theme park. As I said before, I have visited many times and have recommended other families to visit as well.

I don't understand the bad rap it gets either!

However, In my opinion, for the original poster's family, Knotts is not a must-see place based on the ages of their children and the limited time they have to spend in California.

It is just my opinion but I think Knotts is more enjoyable for the over 48" crowd as they have great rollercoasters, Ghost Town is so neat and I think that children that age really get the theme more.

I have gone with just my husband and I and we had a great time. I have also been with two adults and two ten year olds and we had an absolute blast. Last year, I went with my husband, my daughter who is 12 and my son who is 6. This did not go as well because we spent a lot of our time apart as my husband, myself, and my daughter wanted to go on the thrill rides and my son was really only tall enough for Camp Snoopy. So we split up but I have to say that although my son enjoyed Camp Snoopy, my husband and I spent all the time watching him go on the rides. We just didn't find that very enjoyable!

Disneyland does do a better job of providing more rides that everyone of every age group can enjoy together.

This is what Knotts Berry Farm doesn't do as well which is similar to our Playland which you indicated you looked up. It isn't a bad little amusement park considering our weather only allows it to be open about 1/2 a year.

It has a great wooden roller coaster!

However, it certainly doesn't compare to Knott's Berry Farm. Knott's Berry Farm is a theme park with a great history. My only comparison was that the kiddie rides are similar in nature to the ones found in Camp Snoopy and like our kiddie rides, most only allow the kids to ride and the parents to watch!

So Redlands Redhead, Please don't stop promoting Knotts Berry Farm because I think it is a great theme park that doesn't get enough positive press!

However, it isn't the ideal theme park for every family!

Vancouver, BC...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

Wow, thanks to everyone that replied so quickly to my pleas!!!

Definately everyone has great advice from their own experiences and are truly very passionate on their favorite theme parks!!

I truly appreciate all the great feedback especially from RedlandsRedhead and liveforvacations!! I was on the fence about the dining plans but now after eveyone's advice...no dining plans from Disney!

As for how many days in the Disney parks i think that I will buy a 3 day park hopper? is that enough days and 1 day at Legoland? Maybe Seaworld or the San Diego Zoo? Are the trips out there worth it? does anyone know if it is cheaper to buy the Disney parkhopper tickets at BCAA,(AAA), Costco in Anaheim or online? Is there any deals on Legoland as well?

As for the type of accomidation, we would like to stay at a suite preferrably, with 2 young kids, the more room the better. I think that 2 queen beds would be good, I don't think that we can afford 2 room suites( they run about $130 USD and up right?)

*Complimentary Breakfast..save $$$

*Free Parking, we will like to be able to take a shuttle to/from the hotel, but will rent a car for the days that we are not a Disneyland parks.

*Free internet

*Fridge/microwave is a big yes!!

*as is Laundry facilities as well.

Having a pool is not a big deal for us but a clean hotel is!

Am I asking for too much? Being too picky?

the hotels I was looking at and hopefully someone can tell me if they have stayed there before...

Annabella hotel

Staybridge Suites

Ayres hotel in Anaheim

Hoilday inn suites

Doubletree suite

Lemon Tree

Any others?....word of mouth is the best advice, i feel

any other advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated!!

and thanks everyone for the quick reply...I feel the LOVE!!!!! ;)

vancouver, british...
Level Contributor
387 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disney packages with dining option from their website?

It is hard to say if 3 days in Disneyland is enough. Some people think so and some people do not. We personally prefer five days but that is just us and I know people who think three days is perfect. Keep in mind that in May, the fireworks are usually only on weekends and Aladdin and Pixar Play Parade are not scheduled every day either. Of course, it is busier on weekends.

As I said before, we think Legoland is great and definitely worth a visit.

Seaworld and the San Diego Zoo are both great and we have enjoyed both with our family. It is not a short drive but we think it is worth it.

I cannot help with tickets as we always get Annual Passes but I think you just need to check around and price them yourself. I have heard that you can get a deal from Flight Centre but this was a while ago. I also think that the promotion for Disney tickets right now runs out April 30th so I don't think Disney has indicated whether and what their promotion will be from May 1st and on.

It seems to be difficult to find deals on Legoland but I just keep checking on Google.

Unfortunately, I have not stayed at any of the hotels listed so I cannot provide any info with regards to them.

We regularly stay at the Howard Johnson because for us being walking distance to the park is the most important thing next to cleanliness so this accommodation fits our needs and we always get the Entertainment Rate so the price is great. They do have a kids suite which we are going to try this year but I am not sure that it would meet your needs. They don't have a complimentary breakfast but my family aren't big breakfast people so we just bring a box of cereal, a few bowls and spoons and buy milk from the gift shop.

We stayed once at the Residence Inn in Garden Grove and the room was spacious,the complimentary breakfast was fabulous, it was across the street from Target and some restaurants like Red Robin, Joe's Crab Shack etc. and the ART was reliable but we didn't like depended on the ART to take us back and forth to our hotel.

We also like the fact that on the way from the Howard Johnson is Mimi's which is a great family restaurant, McDonalds and Quiznos.

I think your best bet to get more responses with regard to accommodation would be to start a new topic about that. People may not respond to this topic thinking it is only about disney packages with dining option and that is not very popular option.