We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Disneyland area hotels

Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Disneyland area hotels

My daughter and her boyfriend are planning a Disneyland trip this summer and I am looking for ideas for some decent, safe,inexpensive hotels near Disneyland, or ones that would have a shuttle to take them back and forth. Also what is is nicest beach in this area for them to visit while they are there?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

Start out with the FAQs which may answer a lot of questions.

All hotels in the DL area are safe. Which motels are "inexpensive" and which beaches are "best" require more info on budget and thier preferences.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,146 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

Howard Johnsons hotel ( nicknamed HOJOs on this board) is right across from Disneyland, they can just walk there. It is a hotel, not a motor inn, so no exteriour corridors, which I personally think feels safer. I will be alone there with my 13 yr dd this March,, so I will post a review on hotel, ,and how safe I felt there.

I would also look at Candy Cane Inn, reivews are very good, and prices seem decent.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,357 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

Carousel Inn is right across the street from the entrance plaza to DL. No need to even take a shuttle. If you need a budget place, look at the Jolly Roger, still within walking distance.

Closest beaches Huntington, and Newport. There is public transportation, but will take transfers etc. Maybe a taxi???

Edited: 01 February 2010, 01:22
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

The nicest beaches for a couple to visit would be in Laguna Beach. Heisler Park Beach has high cliffs and beautiful shore below, with a park-like picnic area. Main Beach is downtown, flat, has restaurants nearby, but poor parking. Greeter's Corner Restaurant is right off of Main Beach and has a deck that overlooks the beach, It's sort of like a coffee shop or family restaurant. There are some nicer ones in the hills about the beach.

Actually, I think what beach they might want to choose depends on what they like to do. I love Laguna for it's beauty, but I always liked Balboa Pier Beach. Basically, there are two piers in Newport, Newport and, further down a pennisula, Balboa. You can rent bikes or surreys to go between the two, or walk on the sidewalk or on the beach. It's a very long walk, but do-able if you enjoy walking. Walking both ways would be tiring, I think. I used to walk the distance one way in about 40 minutes. Balboa Pier beach is near the end of the pennisula. Newport Bay is on the other side, with a main street between the beach and the bay. Balboa Pier has a Ruby's Diner at the end (50's/60's diner) and walking from the pier to the street there is a small jazz club (hope it's still there). Along the bay there is a nicer restaurant, some other casual choices, harbor cruises, and a walk on/drive on ferry to Balboa Island with shops and more eating places. This area also has large restroom facilities, something that comes in handy if changing from a wet swimsuit into clothes or freshening up after a dip. Please double check with someone who has been there recently on their condition. It's been quite a while for me.

If it's for a day sightseeing, walking and wading, or taking a quick dip, I'd say Laguna - or for a nice meal in beautiful surroundings. If they really want a full beach day swimming and walking around, maybe Balboa Pier. But you really can't go wrong with any Orange County beach.

I would recommend renting a car for a beach trip.

Edited: 01 February 2010, 02:29
Az
Level Contributor
241 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

Thanks for all the info!

6. Re: Safe Disneyland area hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 05:16