We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DL worth it?

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
DL worth it?

I will be in LA by myself next month for 6 days. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to buy a Southern California City Pass and spend 3 days at Disney/California Adventure Park.

I know California Adventure is the more adult part but will I feel out of place with so many families around?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DL worth it?

out of Place, no way...

While Families are part of the mix of guests at the parks, there are plenty of adults that show up without kids.

My wife and I are childless, and we go all the time. I also go sometimes without my wife. I also know another DE here at TA who is an adult and goes by herself when she can (RedheadRedlands). So go have a great time, and make sure to see Disneyland and California Adventure, they are great places to have fun and relax.

A few attractions at both parks have a single rider pass (they are noted on the park map that you get when you enter).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DL worth it?

Have you ever stood in line at Peter Pan and wondered where all the children are?

Yes adults can enjoy both parks, Disneyland has some good entertainment in addition to the rides, lots of adults like to focus as much on the live music and shows such as Billy Hill and the Hillbillies or Aladdin.

Be sure to look at the calendar and pick a day when they have more entertainment even if it's more crowded.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DL worth it?

There's so much more interesting things to do in LA than Disneyland. Anaheim is also a very unattractive city.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DL worth it?

If you're interested in Disneyland, spend a day there, but don't use three out of your 6 days that way, that's disproportionate.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DL worth it?

its really up to you how many days you want to spend in disneyland, its quite common to spend 2 or 3 day there. there is that much to do to keep you busy.

i dont think you will feel out of place at all, i see alot of all kinds of people at disneyland, not just families, and btw, i am usually in that line for peter pans flight that mlgb was talking about, its my favorite ride :)

the socal city pass is only a good deal if you are planning on doing all of the attractions listed.

the least expensive southern california city pass is available at costco, there should be one near you

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DL worth it?

One comment about The Southern California CityPass, it isn't usually available at most Costco Stores, but it is available online.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11504432&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|21124|29676&N=4012511&Mo=52&pos=11&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=29676&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC3125-Cat21124&topnav=

Note, anyone living in the USA can buy the CityPass online from Costco. If you don't have a membership card, they will charge you an extra 5%, but still cheaper than buying it anywhere else.

Make sure and read the conditions, the current package needs to be used this year. The 2011 version should be out shortly.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DL worth it?

i have posted on a few peoples posts here on trip advisor that were from the vancouver area, they were able to get the socal pass at the costco store there, so thats why i advised looking at the store instead of online, plus they are a little bit less if you can find them at the actual store, if you dont have a member ship someone you know that does can get them for you, or you can go with them.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DL worth it?

Firstly, here is a good thread on Visions Fantastic about going to DL alone. Not real tips, but a lot of support for doing it.

visionsfantastic.com/forum/…

Secondly, I admit I haven't been to DCA Park, but I do think there are some somewhat childish things to do over there so I wouldn't label one park or the other as more adult friendly (except that there is liquor available in DCA and not in DL).

It's very easy to feel like an adult in DL. Sure, it brings out the little kid in everyone, but it is all on the way you approach your visits that will make you feel like you are out of place or not. For instance, I feel like I would be out of place in a character breakfast and I just don't have a desire for that. Other adults feel fine with it. I prefer to concentrate on other things.

Did you know that Disneyland has two outdoor dance venues in the park? Tomorrowland Terrace and Plaza Gardens. Tomorrowland Terrace has nightime 80's rock, contemporary, and even an Elvis Tribute Band - depending upon what is scheduled and what time of year. Plaza Gardens has the Jump, Jive, Boogie, Swing Party on select Saturday nights. Tomorrowland Terrace has music on more days of the week. The official calendar on the official Disney website will show if there is a band scheduled and who they are.

As mentioned, I have gone solo quite a bit. I actually see three days to be a bit much when you are flying solo, however that is probably because I have crammed everything into one super long day, so it's kind of hard for me to view things differently. I can see myself doing two days and a hotel stay by myself, but three is kind of stretching it.

On the other hand, I could see that if I had a different approach to the way I go, three days solo would be good. With three days you get a lot of flexibility and you are not pushing yourself to stay in the parks for long lengths of time. You can also mix it up with something else. Maybe a day at the beach and a night in Disneyland seeing fireworks. Or, even try the other nearby park, Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, one morning and early afternoon, come back and visit DCA to see World of Color. Or maybe you just may want to stay in the parks for long periods of time because you find you enjoy them!

Also, don't forget you can exit the parks getting a hand stamp for re-entry and go into Downtown Disney for a drink or lunch or just to relax in the lobby of the Grand Californian.

One note. I just want to make sure you are aware that Disneyland Resort and Anaheim is not in LA, in fact it is in a different county at least a hour's drive away, probably more like an hour and a half in traffic. If you were to stay in LA, you would need to travel to Disneyland Resort each day in heavy early morning traffic in order to get there at opening, the slowest point of the day and would also decrease your flexibility.

Contray to what was said in a previous post, Anaheim is a lovely city, especially the area around Disneyland Resort, called Anaheim Resort.

Edited: 15 September 2010, 05:24
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DL worth it?

The adults in our family really like DCA, especially some of the rides meant for kids (It's a Bug's Life) but also Soaring over California and Tower of Terror. The movie-related attractions (not really rides) are really fun and I think at least as interesting as the Universal Studios "studio tour." Both probably pale in comparison to a Warner Bros Tour, or so I've heard (haven't been to Warners, really want to go).

There's live music at the Downtown Disney House of Blues, and elsewhere around Anaheim, as well as within Downtown Disney, which is one of the few places in the greater metropolitan area where lots of people mill about (Universal Citywalk is another). It's not Times Square, but it's Disney's version of it.

Hollywood/Highland area is interesting too, including for people-watching.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DL worth it?

I really don't get post #3 and #4...

First off, different strokes for different folks.

For My Honeymoon in June, we visited over 10 states, and over 15 Theme/Amusement/Water parks, that is what we like. We also did a lot of other things, but over half of "time" was designed to enjoy rides and amusements. I know for many, that is over kill, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend a month sipping wine and checking out Art Museums.

As for this comment... "Anaheim is also a very unattractive city." Say WHAT! I have seen a lot of areas in LA that are much more unattractive than Anaheim. (I have also seen some very nice areas of LA). If I had to choose between staying in Orange County or Los Angeles County, I would pick Orange County easily if I was visiting from another area.