We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Anaheim

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
train from Anaheim

I believe there is a train that goes along the coast north or south from Anaheim. We have three spare nights after Disneyland in Anaheim and thought catching the train somewhere may be nice.

We need to catch an international flight out of LAX the final morning so will need to be somewhere close to the airport for that third night.

Any help would be much appreciated

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Anaheim

Yes, Amtrak serves the Disneyland area with many daily trains that go up and down the coast. Note, if you want to go fairly north, there is only one train that leaves daily that goes along the Calfiornia Coastline, the Pacific Starlight. To get to it, you would take a train from the Disneyland area to Union Station (which Amtrak calls LAX, even though it isn't even close to the airport of the same name.) To head south to San Diego, you have many different daily trains.

There are 2 stations in the area, and they are the same basic distance from the Disneyland Resort. I prefer the Fullerton Station, since it is in a better location. The Anaheim station is in the middle of the Angels Baseball stadium parking lot, which can cause problems with traffic.

As for getting to the LAX Airport, there is regular bus service from Union Station to the airport called the FlyAway Bus, that is your best option.

www.amtrak.com

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…202010_5.pdf

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Anaheim

Just to avoid any confusion, there is no Amtrak train called the Pacific Starlight, but Amtrak does have two similarly named trains - the Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight.

The Pacific Surfliner train stops at the Anaheim station (as well as the Fullerton Station, which is more convenient to some parts of Anaheim than the Anaheim station is), and goes as far south as San Diego, and as far north as San Lois Obispo, and follows the coast for a lot of that route. The train also stops at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles which is the major public transit hub in Los Angeles - from there you can take the Red or Purple Line subways into downtown LA (where there are numerous hotels), and there is also the FlyAway bus service betweeen Union Station and LAX.

The Coast Starlight train starts at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles and goes as far north as Seattle, but it is inland for much of the route. There is some overlap with the Pacific Surfliner route north of Los Angeles.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Anaheim

Are you thinking of doing a train ride just for something to do? The two places I would consider would be Santa Barbara (north) and San Diego (south).

amtrak.com/servlet/…1237405732511

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

And the Four Points by Sheraton at LAX is a very nice place and has a shuttle to the airport.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,409 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Anaheim

The Fullerton station is almost twice the distance from DL than Anaheim Station (although that DIFFERENCE is only about 2 miles!) but if you're taking a taxi to the rail station, it will cost about $7 more (with tip) to Fullerton. While the Anaheim station is adjacent to the baseball stadium, I am assuming that you will be departing Anaheim in the mid-morning so there should be little traffic in and around the stadium at that time. Of course, the direction you are traveling can contribute to your travel costs since ticket prices differ at the 2 stations by $1,00 or $1.50 per person. (Still, you'd have to have MORE than 4 people in your party to make it less expensive to depart from Fullerton than from Anaheim when you consider the cost of the taxi to each station, as well).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Anaheim

Sorry, but the distance from the Disneyland Resort Taxi Stand to EITHER Train Staion is the SAME!!!!!!!

Using Google Maps....

First off, The Disneyland Resort Main Taxi Stand next to the ESPN Zone.

Google Maps shows it at 4 miles.

Fullerton Station is 4.5 miles from the Disneyland Resort.

That is about $1 more, and since you save time and in most cases a lesser fare, DON'T go to Anaheim.... Fullerton is the choice if you want to head north on the train.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Anaheim

OK, let me also take about taxi fares, a good average is $3 to enter a cab, and then $3 a mile (The actual cost is slightly less, like $2.70 a mile) but round numbers help. Then you have to add "wait time" which is when the cab is stuck in traffic, plus figure in a tip.

So a taxi to the Anaheim station would be about $15, without wait time and tip. But since the location is in a very busy area between the Angels Stadium (Outdoor stadium for baseball and other events) and the Honda Center (Indoor Arena for Hockey and other events), you are looking at about $20, if not more.

Going to the Fullerton Station adds about $1.50, but usually has less wait time, so basically the same price, about $20.

Also, if you want to go using public transit (OCTA Bus system), the Fullerton station has much better and more frequent service.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Anaheim

Thanks heaps guys for your terrific replies.

If public transport is reliable enough we would be happy to use that to get to the train station - by the way we are staying at the Howard Johnson (near DL).

We don't have a preference to either north or south yet, after three weeks of being on the go, what we would like to find is somewhere relaxing and by the water before we head home.

I guess it might be better to have two nights either north or south and then the third and final night back close to LAX?

Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Anaheim

Public transit buses from HoJo to either train stations is reliable but will be time consuming for you. Just be sure to understand that if you do not want to take a taxi cab to either stations.

I would vote on a southbound escape to San Diego on the Pacific Surfliner train. Two days down there would be wonderful, and will fulfill your ocean city needs. On the third day, you could return to LA using the same train. Gorgeous scenery on the train also. Opt for Business Class seating if you would like a guaranteed seat, and free snacks and drinks.

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Anaheim

I just took the train today from San Diego up to Anaheim. I wouldn't bother with business class. There were more than enough seats, only 30 people on coach and maybe 3 on business. Pay the extra if you really need to read a newspaper and get free drinks.

Anaheim
Level Contributor
673 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Anaheim

I second the San Diego Trip and you can grab a Bus 43 North on Harbor Blvd. every 20 minutes to the Fullerton Station, but the buses are not large luggage friendly or running between Midnight and 5:am.

There are good places to eat near the Fullerton Station (Heroes/Spaghetti Factory) and it is a great old fashioned train town.

Rosco