We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Which Anaheim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abbotsford, BC
Level Contributor
66 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Heading to Disneyland in March, 2011. I am wondering if anyone can suggest some "hidden gem" restaurants as apposed to the chain restaurants. We enjoy Cheese Cake Factory and chains like it, but more so enjoy the privately owned restaurants that get rave reviews from locals. Open to any cuisine, including Indian, Greek, Mexican, American....

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Here are a couple of good options.

Carolina's Italian is a private single store operation in nearby Garden Grove.

http://www.carolinasitalianrestaurant.com/

A small chain based in San Diego and is focused on the South West is Oggi's Pizza and Brewery. One location is at the corner of Harbor and Chapman in Garden Grove.

http://www.oggis.com/

Great food and drink.

Another local chain is Mimi's Cafe, located on Harbor Blvd, across the street from Disneyland.

www.mimiscafe.com

Abbotsford, BC
Level Contributor
66 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Thank-you so much! Really appreciate your expertise.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Marri's Pizza & Italian has long been a favorite for Disney cast members.

http://marrispizza.com/Index.html

Hatam is a good Persian place.

hatamrestaurant.onsmartpages.com/ourmenu/

Fire + Ice is a small chain, but pretty unique and is right across the street from the Residence Inn Maingate.

http://www.fire-ice.com/

Two other small chains, but good seafood are McCormick & Schmick's and Roy's, both in the Garden Walk.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Mimi's Cafe mentioned in the previous post is excellent. We were at Disney in October 2010. We made a reservation for 6pm - it wasn't very crowded but when we left there was a line. It was a nice homey atmosphere and the waitresses are very friendly. Much of their entrees were under $10 - $12 with lots of choices.

Everything there was fresh and tasty (except the asian salmon which was very spicy). Great kids menu too. It was a great value especially after eating in high priced Disneyland. I would definitely go there again.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Love the french onion soup at Mimi's!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
17,810 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Not really a hidden gem and more like a famous for decades non chain always-a-wait-to -get-in place, Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. The least wait is when they first open for lunch around 11:30 a.m. The best meal is the traditional Mrs. Knott's Chicken Lunch/Dinner. Going with the option of all white meat for a couple of dollars. That means two large breasts, potatoes with gravy, corn, and salad or chicken soup. I actually like their soup almost as much as their chicken. I can't seem to find anything else like it and if they ever put it into cans and sell it I will stock up! Also, they have the greatest little biscutts which they will keep coming if you ask for more. Desserts include their speciality boysenberry pie and if they have a bakery next door with more.

Parking is in front of the restaurant on Grand (off of Beach, where Knott's entrance is) and in the nearby parking lot which has three hours free. (If also going to the park it can be a better deal to park in the lot that is on Beach Blvd.) I like the original (main) dining room) because it has windows that look out onto pine trees and the Independence Hall replica across the street.

Another suggestion in that same area would be Claim Jumper, which is on the northwest corner of La Palma and Beach in Buena Park - the corner opposite the Knott's Resort. It is a chain restaurant, but a very good one. I consider that a "hidden gem" because I just discovered it was there a couple of years ago and think the food and service are wonderful.

The title of your thread implies you are looking for restaurant suggestions in Disneyland itself. Let us know if you would like our ideas on that. Inside Disneyland Park, I like the French Market. Within the resort, I like the Storytellers Cafe inside the Grand Californian.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 22:20
calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

We used to have Sakeys Pizza in Canada and it dissappeared 30 years ago and there is one on harbour BLVD just across the #5 freeway. awesome food

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

Just want to correct the spelling, it is Shakey's Pizza, just in case someone wanted to do an internet search and/or program a GPS.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,836 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

>>>Just want to correct the spelling, it is Shakey's Pizza, just in case someone wanted to do an internet search and/or program a GPS.<<<

Uh Darkbeer..... not sure you are doing them a favor :P

calgary
Level Contributor
400 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for restaurant reccomendations in Disneyland

should have used spell check excuse the spelling yes it is Shakeys Pizza.